Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #1

schnell shift linkage

Yes I did a search but found more posts about the short shifter vs. the linkage. So how well do these hold up ? My 02 S just had the OEM linkage puke and I'm slowly getting the console out. So the OEM part is aprox. 20.00 and the Schnell is about 49.00 is it worth the extra coin ? Any negative aspects ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #2

Garage
I have yet to install mine, but for the minimal cost difference, I went with the Schnell. I just need to set aside some time to do the install. The 997 shifter is sitting there too, waiting to be installed
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I have yet to install mine, but for the minimal cost difference, I went with the Schnell. I just need to set aside some time to do the install. The 997 shifter is sitting there too, waiting to be installed
I'm confused on how the Schnell grabs the cable ? I know there are three pointed set screws but do the set screws line up with a groove/collar on the cable ? Or do the points of the set screws just " dig in " to the cable ? I agree for a little extra money it seems like a better part but before I order I want to know about my questions. Good luck with your install.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 09-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #4

Garage
That I don't know, hopefully someone who has actually done can help. I was assuming it lines up with the collar on the cable.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Go with the OEM.
i have installed the Schnell in my previous boxster, and removed it.
it is very hard to adjust, and connects to the cable using 3 small Allen screws, so you are basicly damaging the "threaded" part of the cable (especially if your cable has the plastic thread).
i dont see any advantage using it.
for 20$ for the OEM part, you can afford yourself replacing it every 10 years.

from my experience, the weak point of this linkage,was with its attachment to the cable.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #6

Garage
The following two links may assist you with you removing the center console and install of Short Shift kit and/or the shift linkage:

Short Shift/Center Console removal:
http://www.bmracing.com/bmnew/pdf/9500725.pdf

Shift Linkage:
http://quvpr.powmx.servertrust.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/996-986-996TTSwiftShiftInstallationInstructions.pdf

You know if you searched ....yada...yada..yada (j/k)

I may get off my butt today or the next and install my Schnell linkage too and will post photos..... of course I would prefer you to do it first!
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Go with the OEM.
i have installed the Schnell in my previous boxster, and removed it.
it is very hard to adjust, and connects to the cable using 3 small Allen screws, so you are basicly damaging the "threaded" part of the cable (especially if your cable has the plastic thread).
i dont see any advantage using it.
for 20$ for the OEM part, you can afford yourself replacing it every 10 years.

from my experience, the weak point of this linkage,was with its attachment to the cable.
You make a point and that was my concern about the interface of the set screws. I think I'll go ahead and order the OEM part and go from there. Thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

boxster6354 thanks for the links, and your comment on doing a search made me laugh !!!