Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

brake issue

Hi all I have just bought a 2003 Boxster S in the UK and driven it home to Spain I found the brakes a bit on the spongy side and came to the conclusion that its most likely in need of a fluid change or bleeding.

I decided to check out all the pads for wear in case I need to change them at the same time and I'm not sure what to make of what I found.

Front right : pads are ok about 25% worn and even but the disc/rotor is smooth on the outside but has some corrosion on the inside and is uneven.

Front left : pads are 75% worn the inside pad slightly more the disc is again smooth and even on the outside but has very slight corrosion on the inside but not as bad as the front right

The rears are equal the pads have plenty of left on them and the inside of the discs are little less smooth to the touch than the outside

Any help would be appreciated

Jay1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I would turn/skim the rotors (assuming that they are within spec thickness), replace the front pads, and flush/bleed the brake fluid. That should bring everything back to normal.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #3

spongy brakes are a sure sign of brake fluid contamination. address this issue first! any additional issues can be resolved when it is time for a brake job. if you are feeling like doing a preemptive brake job, that is fine, but not a necessity.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #4

The BoxsterS will have a spongy peddle. Porsche increased the brake caliper size? but didn't increase the master cylinder size over the 2.5/2.7 cars.

You can bleed them (good idea) you can turn the rotors (good idea) even though we just replace them when worn ($140x2)

If you **really** want a firm pedal? 996 GT3 M/C is in your future
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

I never turn rotors any longer

They are so cheap now, even good aftermarket ones. I installed a set of cross drilled ones (front) on my S for $220 bucks and they were Bosh...peace of mind is worth a lot.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice I'm hoping to get the work done this weekend will let you know the results in due course
Jay1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #7

front brakes

On a Boxster are a 1 banana job...do it yourself and save a ton'o money
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #8

Hi,

also check the break hoses. If you want a firmer pedal feeling use steel flex break hoses.

Regards
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
If you **really** want a firm pedal? 996 GT3 M/C is in your future
Brad, do you have handy the P/N for the GT3 master cylinder?

Porsche / TRW..?

Thank you!

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote