Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Coolant Leak found / Now what?

Hello,

I have had my boxster for 3 months now and am having fun driving and fixing it up. I noticed a coolant smell last weekend when I parked; it was only present on the left side next to the head rest. I drove a a few more times and tried to track down the smell (leak) and finally found it.

There are two lugs broken off a the front left top of the crankcase. I can't figure out what was originally mounted there but it is gone now. I have marked up a pic from the web, with the leftmost purple arrow pointing to the missing piece, and two red circles where the lugs are now broken. It looks to me like the block was plugged with JB weld or some sealant by someone else. I'm not sure exactly what they used, but it looks like it has been there a few years.

Anyways I plan to plug the holes with JB weld unless someone has a better idea? Also, Anyone know what the peice is that I am missing? Is my car just a little lighter this way, or was that bit important?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 08-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #2

HOLY SH_T!!!

Stop driving it.

Somebody F'd it up good.

You are MISSING A BOLT IN THE AC compressor!!
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

I'm not even sure how in the hell the belt is staying on it!~!

The AC has 3 bolts holding it to the engine.. you have two.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #4

The AC does have two bolts at the front.. so only one front is missing. The rear one must still be in place. This is why the belt is still on and hasn't been an issue.

I'd take the car back to where you got? and shove it up their ass. Or beat the ass of the guy who sold it to you..

**Somebody** F'd up bad. They pulled something apart to fix either the AC or change the power steering line and broke the block
Old 08-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

Where you circled "plugged hole"?? that appears to be JB Weld or some other BS sealant..
Old 08-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #6

See my blue arrows? a Bolt passes through that hole.

See the second lower arrow? there is *supposed* to be a mounting bracket right there. You can see in the pic you robbed from Pelican

Old 08-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Where exactly are you in Indy? I'd like to know who did the PPI before you bought it.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #8

Garage
Looks like you need to remove the front coolant manifold, to access the coolant passage inside the block, to have a chance at a leakproof patch. Get a strip of galvanized sheet metal to use as a temporary surface inside the coolant passage until the JB weld sets up.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #9

Ok well, I am now Sufficiently worried so I will take my time fixing this one. Good idea about taking the cover off so I can block the holes from the backside and then fill in with JB. I'll look into supporting the AC compressor a little better, but I'll probably just leave it. I'm not sure how or why this is broken, but it's not the only thing shady about this car.

Still, as long as nothing catastrophic happens it's a fun car and I never would have considered a boxster until this came along. I was looking at Bmw Z4's but they just seemed to not have that x-factor for me.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Where exactly are you in Indy? I'd like to know who did the PPI before you bought it.
Hi, Brad I am in Evansville, IN and bought the car on a quick deal. I think when all is said and done, I got a fair deal on it. I've tracked the car with no problems so am just going to re-plug the holes.

As for the picture I robbed, I'm glad I found pelican and 986 forum for all the wealth of info. I've already placed a couple orders from pelican to replace my front motor mount, top cables, fuse cover, hood shocks, filters, brake bleeder etc.

All good projects so far. Next I get the bumper painted and it will be looking real good.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #11

It will leave you stranded when the belt comes off.. and it will break the other two mounting locations shortly. Luckily.. it's Indiana where you don't run the AC 24/7 BUT the defrost uses the AC also!!

I just hate seeing this.