Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

What does everyone do with

the old parts they replace? It seems some could be rebuilt. I used to provide my old starter to the store so I could get the parts for less cost.
What should I do with the old water pump and thermostat, etc. as they are replaced?

Old 07-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Due to the high cost of labor and the low cost of modern automated manufacturing, often it is cheaper to build something new than refurbish old worn out parts. This mostly results in the old parts being thrown out. Rather than ending up in a landfill, hopefully your refuse processor recycles most of the materials.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Vertex auto is still offering rebuilt water pumps they may offer you something for you carcass.
rocartfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Due to the high cost of labor and the low cost of modern automated manufacturing, often it is cheaper to build something new than refurbish old worn out parts. This mostly results in the old parts being thrown out. Rather than ending up in a landfill, hopefully your refuse processor recycles most of the materials.
^ very true

The Chinese GOV gives tax break to manufacturers using recycled raw materials where "additional" tax are imposed to those who don't. Surely they must have copied this model from other developed countries but still today I haven't heard of anyone else doing the same :/

It's improving every year here. In fact it goes too fast! scary

Each districts has recycle pickup services here now. You just need to call and they pickup your stuff at the door - e.g. they throw back $5 at you for your damaged starter motor, your mobile, your flat screen tv, your car engine, WHATEVER!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #5

Your local metal recycler will take this stuff and give your cash. I had an old wrought iron and wood bench were the wood rotted out. Brought the iron to the recycler, got some money, felt good about so tuning being reused and I got to weigh my vcar on their scale. Not bad.

BTW - while there I saw a stack of old water pumps, starter motors, carbs, etc.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote