Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

2000RPM vibrations and rattle

Hi

Just wanted to add this for others, have been feeling a strange thudding vibrations just below and up to 2000RPM for a while now. Independent of gear it's in. The vibrations tended to vanish when the car was hot. I was worried this was something engine related and was about to send her off to an expensive fix.

I have also heard a metallic rattle when starting the car every once and again, this is most certainly the cat heatshields.

The other day the rattling sound replaced the vibration at near 2000RPM,wich makes me believe they are the related.

I put the car i neutral and went under and held the shield hard in place and the rattle disappeared. Pretty sure this is the source if it all, as the part gets fastened when it gets hot, vibration might me some resonant frequency around 2000RPM of the shield and exhaust.

Will try take it apart and switch the fasteners this week, and come back to confirm.

- Chris

nor986 is offline   Reply With Quote