Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

Garage
No Start - Cranks Fine - No Check Engine Lite - No Related Codes

The titles says it all. I parked the car last night and everything was fine. JSat down in the car this morning, turned the key and dropped the top without starting the car. Reset the key and went to crank it over and it would not start.

There was 12.6 volts at the battery. I looked for codes from with both my Durametric cable and ODB2 scanner. Granted the Durametric cable's performance is spotty - I am supposed to send it to them for testing - it did read out one seemingly unrelated code - P0446. I cleared that code and it has not returned. The CEL is working - it displays along with all others - but the car will not start. The gas cap was on tight - the o ring on it looks great.

It is rather hot enough today that I won't be doing much additional trouble shooting until this evening. I need to check for spark and fuel. The Durametric cable turned on the fuel pump - it runs when enable - that doesn't tell me it is getting fuel past the injectors. I am also going to look at what fuses might have failed from the comfort of air conditioning.

It's a 1998 - 2.5 - Manual

Any suggestions?

Last edited by BFeller; 06-14-2014 at 09:54 AM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #2

Garage
I got caught up in helping a neighbor that had a problem and did not get to work on the car until almost sun down. I was able to confirm that @ 55 pounds of pressure at the fuel rail. Durametric still turns on the fuel pump. I was able to get a voltage reading.

Does anyone know if the Durametric gets the RPM from Crank Position Sensor via the DME? Although the engine did not start, it would not display RPM. The hope is that the lack of RPM info during the cranking cycle would confirm the CPS had failed.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 AM   #3

If the crank sensor has failed the car won't start because the computer won't fire the spark plugs
Just recently happened to me in an intermittent fashion and I didn't get the code until the very end.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #4

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51323-random-starting-issues-cel.html

I had the same code come up and thought it was unrelated to my starting issues but also had bad readings on both oxygen sensors (those ended up being from the AOS failing). The P0446 for me was the regeneration valve from the charcoal canister to the throttle body not working correctly. I bought one from the dealer for about 133 dollars. It's an easy job but a lot of work in tight spaces. I would check out the threads on hot starting issues to see if that sounds like your problem. Replaced mine for the same code you have and it has not returned for at least a couple months now and no starting issues.

I do want to mention though that my car would always start, but if it was within about 30 minutes to an hour after I last drove, it would give me trouble and I would have to give it throttle and try a few times. It started getting more and more common before I replaced it.

Good luck!
BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #5

Garage
Last yesterday a CPS was ordered. It should arrive Tuesday. The next challenge will be getting the car into a safe position to put it on jacks stands. The car is currently on a sidehill slope. I wish this was replaceable from the top down.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #6

Garage
I removed the current CPS from the housing this evening. I did not try to unplug the connecter. I could not see and was working from touch on the connector, it seemed like a better idea to wait until the new one is available to review. I took a few minutes to clean the pickup end. It was dirty and not really possible to see the hard metallic part. After cleaning and reinstalling the original CPS there was no joy found when trying to start it.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #7

Garage
It's running

OK - The new CPS or Crank Position Sensor is in - the car fired up on the second crank. If I had held the key a little longer in my first attempt it might have fired that time. It hunted for a little bit - and the exhaust seemed rich. Since it was on the jack stands and the rear tire was off I shut it down. I put the tire on, dropped the car from the jacks and torqued the lug nuts. I then started it up again and it ran fine while I buttoned the engine cover and top into place.

I then took it for a nice 30 minute ride.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #8

Awesome! Good work!

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote