Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Window won't come back up

987 owner, I'm sure it's the same as the 986...

Passenger side window will drop down the 1 inch when pulling on the latch but it will not go back up when the door is closed.

Could this be the microswitch that tells the car the door is closed? Where is this switch located?

Thank you.

tsasu360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #2

Do the interior lights stay on when the door is shut, like the car thinks the door is still open?

The microswitch that tells the computer whether the door is open or shut is in the door lock assembly:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Door Lock Mechanism / Boxster Door Handle - 986 / 987
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:37 AM   #3

I do not recall the light saying on but will check it again...regardless it looks like for any issues with the window the door lock assembly is the one central place that all leads to?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:40 AM   #4

Not nesesarilly ...
Could be the regulator .
Quick and easy fix

A regulator on the Boxster fixed this issue about 4 weeks ago , a door switch fixed a similar issue on my carrera yesterday . (Window going down but then immediately back up )

Does it work perfectly when the passenger door is opened at the same time ?

Last edited by Ian c; 05-31-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #5

Hi All --

Ian_C -- if the passenger door is open is when the problem occurs, the window goes down, then it does not go back up. If I close and open door repeatedly it stays in the 1" down position (i.e. it does not go down 1" every time).

steved0x -- I take back what I said earlier; it turns out that the light in the rear of the doors (internal light) does stay on when the passenger door is closed; does this mean the door thinks it's open?

Also why would the door open/closed switch be in the door handle, or is it part of the latch mechanism and door handle?

Thank you...
Old 06-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #6

I read incorrectly .
I thought it was the drivers door that was having problems .

My car had drivers window problems apart from when I had a passenger in and the passenger door was open , then it would work perfect !!!

It was the door latch .

Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote