Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

Garage
cat test pipes

My Cat test pipes arrived today! woohoo! maybe I'll be able to install them tomorrow night. I also have the matching headers in the mail tomorrow as well.

jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Got mine too. I promptly painted them black with high temp paint. No shiny crap to announce that I'm running test pipes. Mine will go in next week when I have some time.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Got mine too. I promptly painted them black with high temp paint. No shiny crap to announce that I'm running test pipes. Mine will go in next week when I have some time.
Interesting take. I've had test pipes for about a year and they are difficult to distinguish from the stock exhaust (if your unaware that it should have secondary cats). The car was state inspected with the test pipes and no one batted an eye. Stainless is a pretty common exhaust material on high end cars, flat black paint? Not so much. I think the paint is the more conspicuous of the two.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #4

painting the pipe will increase the emissivity of the pipe which will increase the temperature in the engine compartment.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Porsche

Got my Test pipes in and just installed them last night. Combined with the Top Speed Exhaust im real happy the way it sounds. Have to get some exhaust leaks figured out since the clamps didnt exactly fit will but all in all very happy
Speedy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #6

Garage
pipe wrap insulation

I was going to wrap mine in heat tape but one of my co workers cautioned against that since they put Mag Chloride on our county roads out here and I have to drive just under a mile on gravel to get to my house.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #7

Garage
Did anyone have the problem of your cat bolts being "welded" on?

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Interesting take. I've had test pipes for about a year and they are difficult to distinguish from the stock exhaust (if your unaware that it should have secondary cats). The car was state inspected with the test pipes and no one batted an eye. Stainless is a pretty common exhaust material on high end cars, flat black paint? Not so much. I think the paint is the more conspicuous of the two.
The whole muffler has hi temp paint to hide the ugly thing when viewing from the rear. Been doing this for years on my cars were the muffler shows. Not too worried.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehadehd View Post
Did anyone have the problem of your cat bolts being "welded" on?
Yes, the top bolt of the cat flange should have a welded nut. The bolt however will back out just fine. The bottom two bolts you will spin the nut off as the studs will stay in place, bottoms are pretty easy to get at. Takes some clever arm routing but over all pretty easy. I also sprayed mine with WD-40 the night before just in case.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2000 View Post
Yes, the top bolt of the cat flange should have a welded nut. The bolt however will back out just fine. The bottom two bolts you will spin the nut off as the studs will stay in place, bottoms are pretty easy to get at. Takes some clever arm routing but over all pretty easy. I also sprayed mine with WD-40 the night before just in case.

Cool thanks, I've gotten to the point of remove all the nuts and bolts but I can't get the cat and pipe out of the car lol. The bottom two studs are still on the adapter and the exhaust is getting stuck on the hook piece near the muffler. I'm starting to consider dropping the entire muffler... Is there another way around it?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehadehd View Post
Cool thanks, I've gotten to the point of remove all the nuts and bolts but I can't get the cat and pipe out of the car lol. The bottom two studs are still on the adapter and the exhaust is getting stuck on the hook piece near the muffler. I'm starting to consider dropping the entire muffler... Is there another way around it?
I disconnected the cat pipe from the U-Pipe and got the u out first. Then i let the cat fall so the cat was actually facing toward the ground. With the cat facing the ground i pulled it straight back and slightly downward. Took a little jiggling but it does come out. Hope this helps
Old 05-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2000 View Post
I disconnected the cat pipe from the U-Pipe and got the u out first. Then i let the cat fall so the cat was actually facing toward the ground. With the cat facing the ground i pulled it straight back and slightly downward. Took a little jiggling but it does come out. Hope this helps

Does that mean you hammered or cut these studs off? Because I can't twist the cat at this point

Old 05-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Porsche

QUOTE=Shehadehd;401499]Does that mean you hammered or cut these studs off? Because I can't twist the cat at this point[/QUOTE]
Once i disconnected the u pipes my cats came out really easy, However if you have the stock muffler still on, there are some supports that connect the muffler to the cats that need to be removed as well.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #14

I guess it's Christmas for everyone. Mine came in yesterday and will be going on this weekend. I like the idea of using High Temp paint... I may try that. With the unrestricted flow there shouldn't be any temp increases, I would think you'd see a decrease.
JBoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #15

Garage
different pipe diameters

Ok, so the pipe clamp doesn't fit the bypass pipes since the bypass pipe end is a larger diameter than the original cat pipe diameter. SO, how the heck is everyone one getting the pipe clamp back on with the new bypasspipes? I put my cat back on the driver's side after I started up with a kluge fix with the bypass pipe that was releasing quite an exhaust leak. Anyone have a good fix?
Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
Ok, so the pipe clamp doesn't fit the bypass pipes since the bypass pipe end is a larger diameter than the original cat pipe diameter. SO, how the heck is everyone one getting the pipe clamp back on with the new bypasspipes? I put my cat back on the driver's side after I started up with a kluge fix with the bypass pipe that was releasing quite an exhaust leak. Anyone have a good fix?
You should have an adapter with the kit. The slotted side of it should go over the test pipe and the smaller end fits inside the original pipe clamp. It takes some shimmying. It's a bit easier to clean it first before trying to adjust it under the car.

Speedy2000, thanks for your help. I was finally able to attach the test pipes. Turns out I just needed to add a little more elbow grease. it sounds great!