Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 AM   #1

Weight reduction results

I swung by the recycling center this morning and weighed my car to check on my dieting results. In total the car lost right at 200lbs, which is pretty impressive considering its virtually impossible to tell what I took out. What is concerning (maybe) is the rear was 220lbs heavier than the front with a 46/54 weight distribution. Pretty close to where you want to be but making me wonder if I want to fill the tank up all the way for my next event.

Car 2900lbs (wet)
Driver 210lbs
Half tank 65lbs
Empty weight 2625lbs

Front 1340lbs
Rear 1560lbs
Distribution 46/54

Here’s what I’ve removed
  • Swap to fixed back seats
  • Muffler(replaced with stainless unit)
  • Spare
  • Cats
  • Engine sound deadening
  • Electric Top gearboxes, motor and other hardware
  • Sub Woofers
  • Pass Airbag
  • Spoiler motor and frame

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #2

cool. what engine insulation did you remove - the stuff inside the engine bay, the stuff in the soft top well around the outside of the engine bay, or the stuff backing the carpets that go around the engine bay?

if you decide to delete the a/c (lots of weight there - high up and over the engine where you don't want it + better cooling with the a/c condensers out of the way) see if you can find a gt3 heater matrix - the heater designed without an a/c coil in it. it comes with manual controls (three dials) and is lighter than the one in your car. very rare in the us, but in Europe it was a stock part on all boxsters that came without a/c (a/c was an option there, standard equip here). would go well with your door straps.

also, look at the brey-krause r-9044 - it's a bracket that mounts your seats direct to the floor - no sliders. loose weight, lower your centre of gravity. comes with sub strap bars for your harness.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
cool. what engine insulation did you remove - the stuff inside the engine bay, the stuff in the soft top well around the outside of the engine bay, or the stuff backing the carpets that go around the engine bay?

if you decide to delete the a/c (lots of weight there - high up and over the engine where you don't want it + better cooling with the a/c condensers out of the way) see if you can find a gt3 heater matrix - the heater designed without an a/c coil in it. it comes with manual controls (three dials) and is lighter than the one in your car. very rare in the us, but in Europe it was a stock part on all boxsters that came without a/c (a/c was an option there, standard equip here). would go well with your door straps.

also, look at the brey-krause r-9044 - it's a bracket that mounts your seats direct to the floor - no sliders. loose weight, lower your centre of gravity. comes with sub strap bars for your harness.

I removed the insulation on the outside of the engine compartment (the thick foam like stuff). I also removed it from the engine carpet covers. Is the insulation around the engine worth removing, this is a new one.

I’m going to hang on to the AC for now, I rarely use it but when I do I’m glad I have it! I would though love to convert the car to dials, I hate hitting the temp or fan button a dozen times to get it to move from low to hi. I wonder if I can run the dials and have AC.

The fixed seat mounts is a great idea, I wonder how much the stock mounts weigh.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #4

some folks will fix the driver seat in place (no one else can drive your car!) and keep the passenger seat on sliders for bulky friends. remove the passenger seat when at the track.

another weighty item is the charcoal canister. will make the garage smell like gas if not there, however, and may throw an evap system code.

bumpers (or GSR make a lightweight version) lightweight battery, cayman engine cover, lightweight carpet sets have all been discussed already. drill rad mounts? fiberglass panels (esp tonneau cover, front truck, extended rear trunk - deletes oem spoiler) - Sheridan make the cheapest going, but track stuff not street.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
some folks will fix the driver seat in place (no one else can drive your car!) and keep the passenger seat on sliders for bulky friends. remove the passenger seat when at the track.

another weighty item is the charcoal canister. will make the garage smell like gas if not there, however, and may throw an evap system code.

bumpers (or GSR make a lightweight version) lightweight battery, cayman engine cover, lightweight carpet sets have all been discussed already. drill rad mounts? fiberglass panels (esp tonneau cover, front truck, extended rear trunk - deletes oem spoiler) - Sheridan make the cheapest going, but track stuff not street.
Will both(front and top) Cayman engine covers work on a 986? They both look aluminum
Old 05-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #6

dunno, I only have the top cover. front one on a 986 is already really light.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #7

quick and dirty way to shift weight from the back to the front (and reduce some engine load while you are at it):

GSR Autosport Electric Power Steering Pump Conversion Kit - Porsche 986, 987 Boxster, 996, 997 911
Old 05-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Great job! You're making good progress.

My Spec Boxster is currently at 2705 lbs with half tank gas and my same weight (210 lbs). I am still looking to take out another 40 lbs, then I can make min spec weight (2650 lbs with driver) by managing fuel.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
Need For Speed

Garage
So with a Boxster S, dropping 200lbs is equivalent to adding 20 HP?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
You don't say what kind of event you are running but essentially always you want to run on minimum gas, also lose the passenger seat and carpeting for timed runs. A lightweight battery will save another 30lbs at the cost of specialty care and feeding needs. Maybe Jenny Craig also

You are on the right track as weight reduction improves acceleration, braking, and corner grip. It's the secret sauce. Adding HP only improves acceleration.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
Rennzenn

Garage
Nice work. Keep the carpet and interior or you'll end up in F Prepared. AX season is on... See you at an event soon!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #12

Garage
I could be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
So with a Boxster S, dropping 200lbs is equivalent to adding 20 HP?
I thought it was 1 HP per 100 lbs.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrblackman View Post
I thought it was 1 HP per 100 lbs.
I don't think so? I used this to calculate the power to weight ratio.

https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/fluid-mechanics/power-to-weight-ratio.php

Stock my car has 258 HP and weighs 2,936lbs.

Add 20 HP to the car and the power to weight ratio is 0.0946866485

Now keep the same HP and drop 200lbs and the power to weight ratio is 0.0942982456