Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to ridercoach Send a message via MSN to ridercoach Send a message via Yahoo to ridercoach
Newbie here, with some questions.. Please help..

Hello all,

Just want to introduce myself real fast. My name is Dave and im from Central Florida. I just recently purchased a 2002 Porsche Boxster with 32,000 miles on it, w/ the touring package 5 speed. This is my second Boxster, I used to own a 97 Boxster but I sold it only 2 months after owning it due to the birth of my child. Now im finally back in the swing of things. I have always loved the boxster and im happier than all can be now that im back in the seat of one, even if its a weekend car.

To who ever runs this site I want to say, GREAT JOB, your community here is very helpful and keeps the forum up to a good standard. I hope I can make a good contribution to this forum.

Now to my questions, you knew it was coming from a newbiee.

I do not ever remember seeing this on my 97 but on the 2002 there are two amber lights that I have no idea what they do, ( i searched the heck out of the forum before I asked this question), One light is located on the driver side door (i think there is on the passenger door also) behind the door handle and the other is under the overhead light beside the interior light switch. I asked the dealer at Maitland Porsche if he knew what this was and he did not know. But he was curious himself. Made me feel real confident with them. So if anyone has an insight on this please let me know.

The other question I have is the memory seats, my Boxster did not come with the owners manual, how do you program the memory seat to respond to the keys? I have 4 buttons on the memory seat function, one is a key symbol, a M for memory, and 1 and 2 buttons for memory. I figured out how to program the seat by the memory function but I do not know how to program it to work with the key. Any info on this is appreciated.

The last question I have is, can this car be any more fun? I love this thing, the drive the feel the looks, everything about this. Is there some sort of rehab I need to go to so I stop saying good night to the car in the garage?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Dave

ridercoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #2

Welcome Ridercoach. I agree with you that this is a nice forum. You'll see a BruceLee posting quite often and he's a moderator that deserves your compliments.
I can't help you with amber lights and memory seats (I have neither) but I've read that you can order an owner's manual from the dealer for around $15. Or, you can register as a member at www.renntech.org and download either a model year 2000 or 2003 owner's manual.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #3

Hey Ridercoach.. Did I by chance see you at the dealer in Orlando last week getting your car looked at? I seem to remember a white boxster with the crest in the headrests and white rollbars in there while I was waiting for my car to get looked at.. I think the car had a dealer sticker on the back that said spanos or something..
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to ridercoach Send a message via MSN to ridercoach Send a message via Yahoo to ridercoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by prOk
Hey Ridercoach.. Did I by chance see you at the dealer in Orlando last week getting your car looked at? I seem to remember a white boxster with the crest in the headrests and white rollbars in there while I was waiting for my car to get looked at.. I think the car had a dealer sticker on the back that said spanos or something..

That was me. I brought it in to the dealer, they fixed all my little problems I had for it. They treated me pretty good. To bad I didnt buy the Porsche from them, they gave me a Hyundai Sonota as a loaner. I do remember seeing a few people at the dealership. Which car was yours?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
Welcome Ridercoach. I agree with you that this is a nice forum. You'll see a BruceLee posting quite often and he's a moderator that deserves your compliments.
I can't help you with amber lights and memory seats (I have neither) but I've read that you can order an owner's manual from the dealer for around $15. Or, you can register as a member at www.renntech.org and download either a model year 2000 or 2003 owner's manual.

Thank you very much for the info and fast response. I downloaded the Manual, thats a god sent.

Thank you,

Dave
Old 02-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #6

Mine was a 2005 Seal Gray boxster. Was there getting the tires balanced With all the dealer horror stories you read, gotta say Porsche of Orlando has always treated me well.
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #7

Dave, welcome to the list!

Manuals aren't $15... try more like $35 and a long wait. Mine was even dirty when I picked it up at the dealership! But it's REALLY helpful. Read it cover to cover.

Hey, you need to pick up some rollbar inserts. They'll cut down on wind and make your car look even better. Ebay has them for $125 used, and although these are cheap plastic pieces, they're made by Porsche and thus, overpriced.

Great looking car. Enjoy!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #8

Hi,

The 2001 Model Year included 4 Interior LED Orientation Lights One illuminates the Center Concole, One illuminates the the Light and Ignition Lock with two more in each Door to illuminate the Door Latches.

So far as the Memory Seat, I believe on the '01, there is a set button on the keyfob. Move the Seat/Mirror to the desired position and push the Set button on the Fob. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Dave, welcome to the list!

Manuals aren't $15... try more like $35 and a long wait. Mine was even dirty when I picked it up at the dealership! But it's REALLY helpful. Read it cover to cover.

Hey, you need to pick up some rollbar inserts. They'll cut down on wind and make your car look even better. Ebay has them for $125 used, and although these are cheap plastic pieces, they're made by Porsche and thus, overpriced.

Great looking car. Enjoy!
Thank you for the info, Ill do a search on ebay. I've seen them on other boxsters and I think they look great. Its amazing how much prices jump when you add a name to it, for instance Harley Davidson. Your going to pay out the wazoo for anything with HD on it..
Old 02-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #10

The amber lights are small little diodes that emit light. They are also near the rear view mirror and as mentioned earlier they are to help the driver to find their way. They stay on for a substantial amount of time after the box is shut down.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:38 AM   #11

I MIGHT have those plastic inserts lying around. If so, I would be happy to sell them to you. I will check later today.

And thanks to all for the kind words.

Best of luck with the Box; The white is very very nice indeed!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I MIGHT have those plastic inserts lying around. If so, I would be happy to sell them to you. I will check later today.

And thanks to all for the kind words.

Best of luck with the Box; The white is very very nice indeed!

Brucelee,

I would be more than happy to purchase them from you if you have them. Thank you very much.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #13

Welcome aboard!

Your car is beutiful! The white roll bar compliment it nicely.

Are the rims the turbo 17' style?

Gotta ask, they are close to mine which is a 2000 Boxster, but mine are maybe a bit older style rims than yours.

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridercoach
Brucelee,

I would be more than happy to purchase them from you if you have them. Thank you very much.
I will check today for sure and get back to you.

Thanks

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote