Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #1

Tracking down coolant and oil leaks

My drivers side exhaust manifold has oil seepage around where it connects to the head. I'm hoping it's just the spark plug tubes and not a head gasket. I'm also getting coolant leakage by the coolant overflow hose, but the coolant is actually running down the frame from what appears to be my coolant tank. It's odd that I don't get any coolant in my trunk. Any insight is much appreciated.

Attached Images

Last edited by tdamlo; 02-22-2014 at 11:13 AM.
tdamlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Regarding oil seep; replace the spark plug tubes and O-rings as this is easy and cheap.

I had a dealer and an indy shop inspect my original Boxster and they both insisted that the cam covers were leaking and quoted me $1,200-$2,000 to re-seal the cam covers. I replaced the spark plug tubes and O-rings myself and the seeping was gone. Job done.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:55 AM   #3

Tore out all my trunk carpet and found coolant everywhere as I suspected. Ordered a new coolant tank today.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Regarding oil seep; replace the spark plug tubes and O-rings as this is easy and cheap.

I had a dealer and an indy shop inspect my original Boxster and they both insisted that the cam covers were leaking and quoted me $1,200-$2,000 to re-seal the cam covers. I replaced the spark plug tubes and O-rings myself and the seeping was gone. Job done.
I had seepage in those same areas. For some reason it was worse near the front. Using the guides from the 101 Projects site:
Pelican Technical Article: Replacing Boxster Spark Plugs and Coils - 986 / 987

Pedros DIY Articles:
Change Spark Plugs & Tubes

And the Bentley Service Manual:
Porsche Boxster, Boxster S Service Manual: 1997-2004: Bentley Publishers: 9780837616452: Amazon.com: Books

I was able to do it myself.

The front spark tube on the driver's side was full of oil, when I took the plug out the socket was covered in oil, and the o-ring had a completely rectangular profile. Putting the new O-rings and tubes solved it. You can use a little motor oil to lubricate the O-rings before inserting the spark plug tubes.

Getting the tubes out... that can be tricky. I tried the transom plug suggestion from Pedro's garage and others, but they were too slippery. What I ended up with was a threaded right-angle type of thread pipe connector from the plumbing dept. at Lowe's, like this:

Note that I don't have the size handy... I took a new spark plug tube to Lowe's and tested different ones until I found the right size.

I threaded the threaded end into the spark plug tube until it bit, and then I pulled it out. When putting the new ones back in, I used the other end which fit right on the edge, and provided a uniform pushing force against the tube. I used new tubes but the threads did not have much destructive effect on the old tubes. I got new ones with O-rings from pelican.

Don't forget to take off the wheel liner piece (I think Pedro's article covers that) that is ahead of both rear wheels; that makes it a lot easier to do the front plugs. I somehow forgot at first and when I finally did it made it much easier.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #5

Thanks for the info regarding the plumbing fitting to remove the spark plug tubes! I'll clean everything up and replace them and see if it solves the problem.