Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

Question P1397 error code - camshaft position sensor

Have check engine light on and after taking a reading am showing error code P1397 which from researching the Internet would seem to indicate most likely a problem with the camshaft position sensor, bank 2. Assuming this is the problem, am I able to drive the car? Must I immediately get it in for service? Also, any estimate of cost to repair?

Andreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

If the code is correct you may have a very serious problem. Get it to a Porsche friendly shop ASAP!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #3

Garage
It could be a very serious problem as woodsman said. However, I had the equivalent code for bank 1 a while ago. I then switched the sensor with the one in bank 2 and got the exact error message you are getting. In my case, it was a sensor failure that caused the code and after replacing the sensor, (~$100) the code never came back.

I wouldn't really recommend swapping the sensors since bank 1 sensor is a real PITA to get too as it is under the AOS. You might also damage something for real in the process. You can always buy a new sensor and replace yours to see if it fixes anything. If you start getting any other CELS, though, flatbed it to the mechanic.

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:23 AM   #4

thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm afraid, although I understand swapping out the sensor isn't too difficult, that it is still beyond my capabilities. Looks like I'm calling AAA for a tow.
Andreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #5

Good Move, I got that code along with an awful idle. I needed the cam tensioner that goes between camshafts 4-6...it was stuck in the advanced position
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreole View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm afraid, although I understand swapping out the sensor isn't too difficult, that it is still beyond my capabilities. Looks like I'm calling AAA for a tow.
Smart move.