Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

Manual release for front trunk very hard on 2000S, where to look to fix?

I have a 2000 Boxster S with a mechanical front trunk release, and it is very hard to do, to the point where I am worried I am going to break something. I have to pull very hard on the lever to the left of the driver seat on the floor to get it to open. (To contrast, pulling the release for the rear trunk is so easy I could do it with my pinkie if I wanted). I am going through a list of the little things to fix (I hope this is little) and this one just came up on my list

Does anyone know where to start to look? Is it a lubrication issue? A binding cable? Or just a worn out hood latch/lock mechanism in need of replacement.

When searching for this I didn't find a match but I did find one where a person had broken one of their levers... I fear I may be next Any hot tips?

thanks!

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #2

See if you can find the back up release cable under the front bumper and see if it releases easy enough -- this might indicate whether you have a binding cable or a sticky mechanism.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

Have someone push down on the crest emblem on hood while you pull on the lever. If it is easier, you need to adjust the latch, the lid bumpers up by the front or both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

Good suggestions, I will try them. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #5
pjq

On this forum under "general discussions" I just posted some photos that may help you, here's the link.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/50328-emergency-front-trunk-procedure-not-working.html
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #6

Those are great looking pictures. I haven't had a chance to get in and pull the emergency release, but I did find out:
1. If my son pushes lightly on the hood when I pull the lever to release the hood, it still gets very hard at the end of its travel, but there is no "pop", the hood releases silently.
2. Once the hood is up, the lever is still very hard to pull at the end of the travel; there is no difference in the feel of the lever. So more investigation is warranted.

Semi-unrelated:
3. I am loving my new $12 "URO Parts" hood shocks. Very powerful. No more wondering if the hood is going to drop down on my head...

Steve
Old 03-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

I am resurrecting this thread because I have decided to diagnose this issue and replace/fix the offending parts. The reason? I tried to open my front trunk to get out a hat before heading down to Orlando this weekend and something snapped, and now the handle just moves freely and the hood does not open. The last time I opened the front trunk was to remove a load of groceries, so thank goodness it did not snap that time...

Itsnotanova is hooking me up with some parts (thank you!!!), which should be here this week, but I am diving in to see if I can identify the problem and go ahead and take some of the old parts out.

As an added bonus, I have a DE at RRR the weekend of April 5-6 and if I don't get this sorted I won't be able to go (not enough room to fit things without the front trunk and also for tech inspection they like to check the battery)

I am starting inside the cockpit with removing the trim that covers the front and rear trunk release. There are 3 little plastic caps, and then you use a 5mm hex to loosen the three bolts, and then pry off the cover using a plastic trim tool (according to the Bentley) it also says you have to take out the front seats, but I am going to see if I can find a long enough 5 mm hex socket attachment so I don't have to do that (it is too far deep to use the short end of a regular hex wrench, and not enough room on the two rear holes with the seat in)

I am starting inside the car first as I am hoping once I get the cover off I can release the front trunk by pulling the cable. If not then I will jack it up and try and locate the emergency pull cable and start inside the car...

This is where I am at now, and I am reviewing pictures/threads. I am putting this out there in case anyone has done this procedure before and has some hot tips

Thanks!

Steve
Old 03-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #8

Once I got a stubby 5mm allen wrench, the cover popped right off... The reason it won't release for me is the cable snapped about an inch from the pull handle... sigh... So it is off to the emergency front trunk release procedure to see if can get things going from that end...

I am feeling like threading the new cable is going to be a $%^&
Old 03-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #9

Got the front trunk open; after taking out the passenger front fender liner my son was able to feel around and find the release.

New fun task: how to get the latch mechanism out of the car. I have got both Bowden cables released; but now I am trying to figure out how to deal with the electrical wire. That grommet it feeds through is very tiny; so tiny I can barely move the wire one way or the other.

A few pictures are below, I am still researching but thought I would put this out there in case anyone has done this before. Thank you!!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #10

The rubber grommet just pushes through and then the disconnected switch fits through the hole... My existing hood latch seems to open with not too much force so maybe there is some binding in the cable. I am diving in to see how to replace the cable now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Got the front trunk open; after taking out the passenger front fender liner my son was able to feel around and find the release.

New fun task: how to get the latch mechanism out of the car. I have got both Bowden cables released; but now I am trying to figure out how to deal with the electrical wire. That grommet it feeds through is very tiny; so tiny I can barely move the wire one way or the other.

A few pictures are below, I am still researching but thought I would put this out there in case anyone has done this before. Thank you!!

Old 04-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #11

How's it going with the cable replacement?
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #12

I'm done �� I ended up buying some 3/64" 1x19 wire rope and swaging tools off amazon and made a new cable and threaded it through the outer housing of the old cable, starting at the cockpit end, and then swaged another end on the hood latch side. I got it all buttoned up finally around midnight Friday night �� I don't think I could have ever gotten the old cable assembly out or the new one in.... I think the relay panel was the last piece blocking me but I just couldn't get under there enough to see let alone try and get it out.

Although I ended up not installing the parts I got from you, talking with you, and holding the parts in my hand (and measuring the cable and inspecting the hood latch) was very valuable and I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you!

I also rerouted the emergency release to my tow hole in the bumper