Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Beginner

Garage
Anyone have a wiring diagram or picture for a 2003 S starter wiring?

Could use some help in verifying the wiring.

Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #2

I'll help you.. but tell me what is actually not happening (or is happening)
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

heavy yellow wire with a black stripe
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

Old 01-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #5

Hello... ask for help.. then run..
Old 01-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #6

Can someone who knows him CALL him and get him back online?
Old 01-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Beginner

Garage
WOW! I went back to the garage to look at wire colors! Thanks for the awesome response! I'm reinstalling the starter after a complete engine rebuild and am verifying my notes on wire placement. I thought I had a pic, but it is not clear.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #8

I took today off from the shop to care for a sick GF at home
Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Just making sure this wasn't a "car wont' start issue"
Old 01-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
So I had 3 wires marked as "starter". The obvious high current, the solenoid with the special crimped connector, and a red wrapped with whipping up to a large eye connector. 3 seemed excessive, so I'm looking for another home for the 3rd "starter" wire. The natural thought is alternator, but that does not pan out either. Could have I mis-labeled it? Oh yeah. I have a string on the DYI page if you are interested.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Beginner

Garage
Hope the GF if gettng well.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #12

3rd starter wire is actually the ground that goes up to the stud on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Near the engine compartment fan.

The large ground wire goes to the top bolt that holds the starter to the engine block

Yes.. now she is just whining LOL
Old 01-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
Beginner

Garage
This is a 20 ga red wire.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #14

Can you post a pic? The red wire with a loop on it goes to the backside of the alternator. M8 stud with a 13mm nut

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 01-01-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
Beginner

Garage
Well then, off comes the manifold until the mystery of the red 20 gauge wire gets sorted out! Today my cell phone made the decision that sending photos was too much work, so when I email them to myself they don't show up. Must be taking new years day off or something... Will update with pics - likley tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #16

I'd pull the alternator.. pain in the ass pulling the intake. Pull the intake? more chance of dropping something into the intake ports
Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #17
Beginner

Garage
The engine is hanging from a hook - intake, alternator, it's all about the same. At this point I'm all about making sure the wiring (actually everything) is 100% correct before installing it back into the car. At that point anything wrong becomes a major malfunction.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #18

Just shoot a few pics.. at this point I have seen 100's of them..
Old 01-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #19
Beginner

Garage
So I think I figured it out using the pre-disassembly picture below. The looped wire above the alternator is the wire in question. I labeled it "starter" instead of "alternator", probably because I was looking at at the starter. Interestingly, it would likely work as wired because it is going to the same electrical node (+12V main power bus). I am going to change it because I don't know how sensitive that connection is to location, I don't want to introduce an unknown variable into the electronics.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #20

Yes! It would have worked, but I doubt it would have reached to the starter.

Do you have the blue single wire plugged into the bottom of the Alt.?

Did you go back together with the 987C large AOS? People tend to call it the "Motorsports" AOS but Porsche Motorsports has nothing to do with it