Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Replacement air scoops for undertray

I have been concerned about cooling air flow to my gearbox due to the condition of those rubber air scoops on the front of the undertray. One of mine had fallen off, and the other was badly torn, and was no longer functioning as intended.

I did a search to see if you could purchase these somewhere, but found nothing available. I didn't try my local dealer though, as they almost never have anything I need.

So, I made my own:

If anyone wants to make some of these for themselves, here is the pattern. You can cut it out of .019" aluminum sheet from Home Depot, which is easy to bend over some wood, even if you don't have a sheet metal break.

Hopefully these will scoop some air without being so low that they hit anything.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

you are a king of men! I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday - need scoops, can't get 'em without buying the whole tray. now I shall make my own! (unless you want to sell/trade me a set ...).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
you are a king of men! I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday - need scoops, can't get 'em without buying the whole tray. now I shall make my own! (unless you want to sell/trade me a set ...).
Glad to be of assistance. Obviously, I didn't design it with ROW dimensions, but I'm sure you can convert as needed.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
Old 12-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #4

Great! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #5

Quote:
The rubber scoops are available separately. They are listed in the 986 PET although not shown in the diagram (501-01).
986 331 361 02 or 986 331 361 03 depending on year.

Not as cool as home made metal ones, of course!
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

Shoulda done a search dude - your question has been asked and answered at least six times before:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/48581-need-part-please.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43214-mysterious-piece-rubber.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36372-always-wondered-what-these.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/30232-part-numbers-request.html

Rear Under Cover Rubber Spoilers

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/26766-hard-find-part.html

Nice scoops though. Hope you don't catch them on something and damage your under tray

Last edited by Mark_T; 12-31-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #7

how's a 0.019" aluminum vent going to tear off the rear subframe of the car?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #8
Beginner

Garage
Excellent work. How did you bend the aluminum?
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #9

The OEM scoops are made out of rubber for a reason.
Just saying.
Part No.: 986.331.361.02 for '97 - '00 MY .... MSRP $2.15
Part No.: 986.331.361.03 for MY 2001 + ..... MSRP $10.66
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon View Post
The OEM scoops are made out of rubber for a reason.
Just saying.
Part No.: 986.331.361.02 for '97 - '00 MY .... MSRP $2.15
Part No.: 986.331.361.03 for MY 2001 + ..... MSRP $10.66
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
I have ripped mine off countless times. That lower brace that they are attached to connects to a bunch uf suspension and more. I would stick with the rubber.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #11

Quote:
how's a 0.019" aluminum vent going to tear off the rear subframe of the car?
Well, "tear off" might be overstating things a bit, but one could certainly anticipate damage beyond just the scoops themselves. Like Pedro said - they are rubber for a reason. The frequency with which they get damaged ought to tell you something.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #12

I think metal scoops are awesome. a huge number of parts on the car are plastic, and they aren't doing too well after 10 to 15 years of use - the more metal the better (I worry about the plastic bits in the engine - I've replaced the sump baffle with a metal ebs unit, but the tensioner pads are a known issue and I have concerns about the plastic oil separator...). and it looks like they only reduce clearance by about 1"; no different than this:

TechnoSump

or this:

Rear Subframe Stabilizer W/ Tie Downs (Front and Rear)-Rennline, Inc.

or anyone who has put on aftermarket headers, lowered their car, or done a 996 engine swap. I do realise that the rubber ones are designed to shear off, but a thin alu part should do the same, or even better just deform so that it can be bent back afterwards. and this way you can make them as big as you want (anything that improves tranny cooling at the track is a big plus in my book) ie, perhaps rivet an additional rubber flap to the initial metal scoop, or use the provided template to make a larger scoop out of an old Tupperware tote.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

I commend anyone who gets out there, does something, and then offers it up to the Forum! I don't know if this is exactly the solution for me, but I applaud the ingenuity and effort. Great job and thanks!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #14

Hey I guess everyone has an opinion.

These may not be for everyone, but my car now sees very light street use, and air flow on track is more important to me. Mine are installed with light aluminum rivets that would shear off easily in the event of hard contact, but I appreciate those who seem concerned about potential suspension damage.

I'll just cast my pearls elsewhere next time.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post

These may not be for everyone, but my car now sees very light street use, and air flow on track is more important to me. Mine are installed with light aluminum rivets that would shear off easily in the event of hard contact, but I appreciate those who seem concerned about potential suspension damage.

Nah, keep casting them here. We're not all swine. Many here appreciate good ideas. Others may troll a bit because they did not think of it first, you did. If your idea wasn't good, you wouldn't get a reaction. Keep the good ideas, and the pics coming.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post

Nicely done keep posting! sheet metal drawings are great. If you want them to shear off you can consider riveting them on the outside of the tray so they are on the outside surface and not trapped; or deflectable tips. You might even consider coarser track versions....lots of heat to get rid of. I start to loose third it's so bad

Last edited by jaykay; 12-30-2013 at 07:18 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #17
Rennzenn

Garage
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Nah, keep casting them here. We're not all swine. Many here appreciate good ideas. Others may troll a bit because they did not think of it first, you did. If your idea wasn't good, you wouldn't get a reaction. Keep the good ideas, and the pics coming.
Ideas like this lead to the "enthusiast development" that makes DIY fun.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #18

Public forums bring out the best and worst in people, ignore who you want. The idea is to share and then people can choose to do the same or not. It's all good.
In this particular case I don't think anyone was snotty just pointing out a perceived problem of road clearance. I fall into the category of not thinking it is a problem. Please report back after putting on some miles to see how they are performing. Thanks for sharing.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #19

LAP1DOUG

It's often hard to read the emotion behind a post... I don't think anyone was trying to attack you or your work - just expressing concern that if your metal scoops get caught on something they could possibly cause collateral damage. Looks to me like they would simply sheer off...

I think the intent with the stock scoops was to redirect airflow over the inner CV joints, to help keep them cool. If so, you might want to rivet your aluminum ones to the outside (bottom) of the plate so that if they do sheer off they won't fly up into the area where the inner CV joints are spinning...

I really liked your post and thanks for posting the plans. I'd definitely be interested in hearing about anything else you come up with...

Thanks!

Bill
Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #20

Can I get 3 sets from you?? I'd like to have them deeper than you made them (no joke) another 1/2 inch... and I'm serious..

Unless you are JUMPING curbs or completely missing apexes and high centering race track birms.. you will have NO issues with these hanging down

I'd rather have the *potential* for extra cooling on the in board CV's these point towards when installed.

send paypal invoice: paypal@bradrobertsag.com

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote