Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Engine codes and a key problem

Hi guys. Just joined. Bought myself a 2.7 Boxster Base on Friday for my 37th Birthday. Took it about 30 miles to go to dinner with my wife. On the way home, 5 miles or so into the ride, or about 70 after I bought it, the CEL kicked on. Took it to Autozone today. Codes read as follows:

P1126
P1133
P1054

Thought perhaps an injector was dirty. Filled the tank, put in some injector cleaner, and drove it about 3 miles. It's missing quite badly now. I'm at a loss where to start. I have done a search and found dozens of things for all those codes. I'm hoping someone has enough experience to see all three and see a reason all three are connected.

Another issue I'm having is with the key. The door lock button had broken off inside the FOB. Using the search here, I fixed it. The LED now lights and the switch is fixed. However, it won't unlock the car or either trunk.

I really like this car and am looking forward to years of ownership. HELP!

Last edited by Swhitcomb; 12-15-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

P1126 and P1133; The engine is running lean so additional fuel is being added by the computer to try to compensate for this condition but the maximum limit of adding fuel has been reached.

Likely causes;
1) The MAF is not mesauring the amount of incoming air correctly and needs to be cleaned or replaced
2) The MAF is correct and additional air is coming in from somewhere else (like an intake or vaccum leak).

P0154 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit No Activity. This usually means that the O2 sensor is dead or there is a wiring problem.

I'd work on the P0154 problem first. Once its fixed, the other codes may disappear.

If not, then start to diagnose the rich fuel codes by disconnecting the cable to the MAF and driving for a short while. If the car runs better, replace the MAF. If the car runs the same or worse, there is likely an air leak somewhere.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
P1126 and P1133; The engine is running lean so additional fuel is being added by the computer to try to compensate for this condition but the maximum limit of adding fuel has been reached.

Likely causes;
1) The MAF is not mesauring the amount of incoming air correctly and needs to be cleaned or replaced
2) The MAF is correct and additional air is coming in from somewhere else (like an intake or vaccum leak).

P0154 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit No Activity. This usually means that the O2 sensor is dead or there is a wiring problem.

I'd work on the P0154 problem first. Once its fixed, the other codes may disappear.

If not, then start to diagnose the rich fuel codes by disconnecting the cable to the MAF and driving for a short while. If the car runs better, replace the MAF. If the car runs the same or worse, there is likely an air leak somewhere.
Thank you very much. I sent the dealer I bought the car from an email that I wasn't satisfied with my experience. Didn't expect any answer. They called within 5 minutes and offered to fix it. We'll see how well that goes. I was going to fix it myself, but if they're going to offer, I'll take them up on it. If they don't get it right I'll post on their Yelp.

Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote