Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
jakesbox

Camshaft position deviation

Saw a thread somewhere else and figured I'd plug in my durametric.

Camshaft position 1 deviation is 1.50 and position 2 is - .30. Somewhat does this mean? They never fluctuated...

Also not sure on durametric how to find the cam angles that are so important?? Or is this the same as the position deviation above?

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)

Last edited by trimer; 12-02-2013 at 04:33 PM.
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
jakesbox

Jake Raby? JFP?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 12-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Saw a thread somewhere else and figured I'd plug in my durametric.

Camshaft position 1 deviation is 1.50 and position 2 is - .30. Somewhat does this mean? They never fluctuated...

Also not sure on durametric how to find the cam angles that are so important?? Or is this the same as the position deviation above?
Spec on cam deviation values are +/- 6; yours are fine. The deviation values are how far the cams are off ideal settings, and they are always a bit off one way or the other.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Spec on cam deviation values are +/- 6; yours are fine. The deviation values are how far the cams are off ideal settings, and they are always a bit off one way or the other.
Thanks JFP - great news...

Do you know what I should look for on a durametric to show me what the cam angle is? They had one on there that sad acutal angle...is this the one? And what should that be reading? Appreciate your help!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Thanks JFP - great news...

Do you know what I should look for on a durametric to show me what the cam angle is? They had one on there that sad acutal angle...is this the one? And what should that be reading? Appreciate your help!
Cam angle should be listed in the "actual values" under the "Engine Module".
Old 12-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
jakesbox

Quote:
Cam angle should be listed in the "actual values" under the "Engine Module".
Again thank you. Can you give me some insight into the numbers I should be hoping to see on those values? Or when I should think about
Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
jakesbox

My durametic does not give me the choice to select actual angle for camshaft. It gives me one that says actual angle inlet for camshaft.

Are these the same? When I clicked on those they were fluctuating...not steady but according to what I am reading online this is not what I should be looking at.

thoughts?

I called durametric and got an engineers answer on why the actual angle for camshaft is not on there. very confusing.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #8

You are reading way too much into this; the cam deviation values are the ones you should be reading as steady, the actual cam angles will move depending upon what the VarioCam is up to at that moment.

Cam angles should be just below the cam deviation values on the actual values list:

Last edited by JFP in PA; 12-03-2013 at 12:45 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
jakesbox

Quote:
You are reading way too much into this; the cam deviation values are the ones you should be reading as steady, the actual cam angles will move depending upon what the VarioCam is up to at that moment.

Cam angles should be just below the cam deviation values on the actual values list:

I don't have the actual angles to click on. Not sure why but went through the list 50 times. Has the inlet but not just the actual angel. Thanks JFP. I a, not concerned. Just trying to understand.