Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Water pump on the way out?

I replaced the pump 2-1/2 years ago at 93,000 kilometers (60k miles). I used a Porsche genuine part from Suncoast.

Today, at 113k km (70k miles) I've got this:

There is pink coolant residue on the left side of the pump (looking to the rear of the car) and at the bottom, but none on the right. It doesn't appear to be coming from the pump/engine contact. If it's leaking thru the shaft seal, wouldn't it be on both sides? Is there somewhere above that could be leaking down onto the pump?

If this is pump is shot after 10k miles, WTF??

Old 12-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

The pump has a small "weep hole" in the shaft area, which is where they usually start leaking like yours is doing. Pump time.............
Old 12-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

OK, so what pump should I get? Based on my experience and others' I've come across in my surfing, the Porsche pump is garbage.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
OK, so what pump should I get? Based on my experience and others' I've come across in my surfing, the Porsche pump is garbage.
Sorry, but I cannot agree to that statement. Running a shop, we have looked at several aftermarket units, none of which lasted very long; we only use Porsche units.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #5

There's a big benefit to installing a pimp with composite impeller blades. Composite blades won't score the block if the shaft wobbles as it wears.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
There's a big benefit to installing a pimp with composite impeller blades. Composite blades won't score the block if the shaft wobbles as it wears.
Most of the pimps around here carry composite blades. Lighter in the pocket.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

JFP, as usual I respect your opinion and knowledge. I'm just choked I have to replace a pump so soon.

Note to self: you have a Porsche. Stop crying and pay up.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
JFP, as usual I respect your opinion and knowledge. I'm just choked I have to replace a pump so soon.

Note to self: you have a Porsche. Stop crying and pay up.
Everyone feel the pain on this one; shop around, try Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR for pricing.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Everyone feel the pain on this one; shop around, try Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR for pricing.
That's where I got mine from. Ordered it on Thursday, and it was delivered on Friday, the next day. I was dumbfounded. Never experienced a delivery that fast ever. I emailed them a complaint (jokingly) about why they didn't have same day delivery. Granted, I'm only 190 miles and one State away from them, but I was still blown away.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

I tried Sunset a few years ago and they wouldn't ship to Canada.

Maybe it's time to see if that's changed...
Old 12-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #11

From what ive read,Porsche pumps can weep a little which apparently is acceptable,how much im not sure but porsche does have a spec on it that dealers are aware off.Apparently the design of the pump warrents an acceptabe amount of leakage,probably very small amount.I have seen some start to leak and then totally stop.If the leak is coming from the weep hole on the shaft only it may be still ok,but i would pull the belt and feel for play and any roughness on the pump pully,they do have about 1 ml of play from new.Usually with minimal weep there will be a little white residue on the face of the pully only,yours unfortunately appears to be more than that.
moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #12

Quote:
I tried Sunset a few years ago and they wouldn't ship to Canada.

Maybe it's time to see if that's changed...
Know anyone on this side? Ship it to them and then go down and visit them. Good excuse for a drive. Rough up the box a little to make it look older, so if they ask at the border about it you can tell them it is a spare that you are carrying because the one in the car is leaking and you didn't have time to put it in yet. You can even show them the leakage.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #13

I'm in the same boat as clickman - installed my genuine Porsche pump (bought from Flat6) 3 years and 15,000km ago and it started weeping within 5,000 km from new.

I must admit, the leakage has reduced from 100ml (about half a cupfull) per 1,000km down to 100ml per 5,000km in the last year or two, so I'm leaving it in service for now.
Whether its leaking from the weep hole or the shaft seal I'm not sure - all I get is a little blob of crusty deposit on the lower part of the thermostat housing which I can see without lifting the car. I just clean the deposit off & monitor it on a weekly basis - if it gets any worse I'll just replace.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #14

Garage
My understanding is they are only good for about 70K miles, in which case it is probably time for a new pump.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAUSIDMT View Post
My understanding is they are only good for about 70K miles, in which case it is probably time for a new pump.
And apparently the "OEM" replacements are only good for 10-20k miles

I'm a little confused about the life span of the replacements. May be just that I'm misreading something, but from what I've read over the years, these replacements don't seem nearly as reliable as the pump that the car came with
Old 12-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
And apparently the "OEM" replacements are only good for 10-20k miles

I'm a little confused about the life span of the replacements. May be just that I'm misreading something, but from what I've read over the years, these replacements don't seem nearly as reliable as the pump that the car came with
I've had the same thought myself..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #17

I replaced my original pump a year or so ago and found it to be in perfect condition on removal at 130 km. I'm considering putting it back on when the new one gives out.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
DIY extremist

my NAPA pump was pulled pre-emptively after about 25k and it was still good according to the guy who bought my car. Never could get the thing to not drip a tiny bit of coolant though.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #19
1998 Boxster

I replaced mine with a Napa pump because it has a composite pump, and a lifetime warranty.
rah rah 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I replaced my original pump a year or so ago and found it to be in perfect condition on removal at 130 km. I'm considering putting it back on when the new one gives out.
As much as my wallet is telling me the same thing, all those years on the original plastic components must have weakened them. The last thing we want is small plastic bits circulating through the engine, coming to rest in and blocking vital cooling capillaries.

I bit the bullet and bought Genuine Porsche from Vertex Auto. Best combo of price / shipping / availability that I could find from north of the border. (Without having to use the gouge-at-the-border couriers.)

PS I was a little disappointed with my interaction with Whaletail Canada. Got a bit of attitude from them when asking specifics on the pumps they sell. If any Canucks out there have had good experiences with them, PM me, as I'd love to avoid the border hassles and increased shipping $ for future parts buys.