Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #1

Slight fuel smell in cabin

Nothing horrendous but its there every now and then, maily when you pull up to a stop, then the small wafts in.

Took the battery and tray out, I could smell fuel whilst doing this, but theres nothing to see really...other than one of the tails in the white plastic tank top doesnt seem to have anything fastened to it. IS this usual?

Top and right a bit....nothing attached?

jimk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Might also be a loose connection or failed component between the filler tube and the fuel tank or any of the fuel evap system components/lines (although I'd expect a CEL for any significant leak in the fuel system).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #3

Garage
The photo looks like everything is as it should be. I had similar symptoms. The smell kept getting worse then I had starting problems so I had to address it. There was a very small (undetectible) crack in the top of the sending unit allowing fuel vapor to escape. The only way they found it was to blow smoke into the fuel system and look for where it came out.

The sending unit had to be replaced (you are looking at the top of it in that photo).
Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

My car's the same as the photo. Also, there is a gasket under the large black plastic locking ring that could be leaking.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #5

Hi, sometimes happen that the fuel cap gasket comes out from its housing and does not close the filling pipe properly. The fuel circuit works in pressure due to the gasoline vapor recovery (canister). If the cap isn't properly closed it could allow vapor leaks directly from te cap. Check it looking underneath the threaded part to assure the gasket sits in the correct way.. It frequently happens if the cap have the safety strip broken and accidentally falls to the ground when refueling. Hope this could help.
thejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #6

I'd be curious to know if a complete fuel network can be pressure tested for leaks. From the FP to the injectors type test.

In a meantime, and until you fixed it, you may want to install this Boxster Guardian device on your dash: