Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #1

Garage
Question Window will not close.

Hi.

2002 Boxster 2.7 83000miles.

I have a problem with the passenger window in that it will not close fully when the car in in use. When locked it closes, but when you unlock the car it opens the 1/2 inch to allow the door to be opened and stays open. The interior light also stays on. The door lock rocker switch on the dash will not lock the car either.

I have disconnected the inner and outer door handle switches in turn, but doesn't help.

I think it must be the interior light switch - is that in the door latch ?

Or has anybody got any other ideas ??

Thanks, Steve

Usedclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Usercpy

Garage
Hi, here are some link you may try out, and hope you get fixed the problem.
Please post if you resolved it..

Driver side window not working

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable-3.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/26546-power-window-stuck-fixed.html

Boxster/996 window issues? | RennsportKC

Boxster Projects | Power Window Motor Repair
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks but I have been through most of those links. I dont think its the window regulator as the window will open and close normally on the switch.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Usedclassic;372011]Hi.

2002 Boxster 2.7 83000miles.

I have a problem with the passenger window in that it will not close fully when the car in in use. When locked it closes, but when you unlock the car it opens the 1/2 inch to allow the door to be opened and stays open. The interior light also stays on. The door lock rocker switch on the dash will not lock the car either.

I have disconnected the inner and outer door handle switches in turn, but doesn't help.

I think it must be the interior light switch - is that in the door latch ?

Or has anybody got any other ideas ??

Thanks, Steve

how is it that you can fully close the window before locking. or does the window go up when you lock the car?
{{played with the door and found that i can pull the door handle, window will come down, and as long as the door is held shut, the car will lock and the window goes up. based on this one data point, it would appear that the switch in the door mechanism that indicates door handle being pulled is stuck on the "door handle is pulled state" }}

Last edited by sb01box; 11-13-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: additional info
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

Garage
When I lock the car with the remote the window closes fully. When I unlock the car the window opens to the door open point.

Today I bought a spline bit so I could remove the latch from the car. I removed the micro switch from the latch, this appears to move up and down. I am not sure if the cam in the latch actually depresses the switch when its in position. I am considering replacing the latch.

I checked out the Renntech link supplied earlier, which was one I had not looked at. It was very helpful thanks.

Steve
Old 11-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #6

if you've removed the latch and considering replacing it, one last test may be of interest.
connect the electrical connection and wiggle the harness.
i has somewhat similar problem. my lock light would light on and off while driving. in the process of disconnecting the harness from the latch, the LED on the lock switch started to flash.
I took the latch assembly apart and found a cold solder on the printed wiring board where the mating connector (to the harness) was soldered. re-flow the solder and my problem was solved.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #7

Garage
Hi, thanks for your ideas. I will give them a try early next week.

I have noticed the window has closed briefly a couple of times when going over a bump or rough ground, so it may just be a loose connection or dodgy joint.

Steve.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #8

Garage
Smile Latest Update

I have now sourced a second hand latch and fitted it to the car, all is now working as it should.

I did take the original out and left it in the garage for a couple of days, I then put it back as I had to use the car and it wasn't securable. When I refitted it everything worked fine for a few minutes. I suspect water is getting in to the latch and shorting something out so how long the new latch will last is anyones guess !!!

Any way thanks for all help & ideas.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedclassic View Post
I have now sourced a second hand latch and fitted it to the car, all is now working as it should.

I did take the original out and left it in the garage for a couple of days, I then put it back as I had to use the car and it wasn't securable. When I refitted it everything worked fine for a few minutes. I suspect water is getting in to the latch and shorting something out so how long the new latch will last is anyones guess !!!

Any way thanks for all help & ideas.
I suspect your latch has the same problem as mine. that of bad solder joint on the printed wiring board inside the latch mechanism. if your plan for the original latch is to discard it, you may want to take it apart and examine the solder on the connector plug. you may end up with a fully functional backup unit.
glad to hear that your problem is fixed
Old 11-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #10

Garage
Smile Spare door latch.

I will check the solder joints as suggested, and I certainly will not discard the latch as it may be useful for spares.