Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #1

could the boxster beat the z3 2.8

hi. I am new to the forum

I have just purchased the 986 boxster lately and its the basic model . just yesterday, me and my friend raced along and the ending was somewhat of a tie.

My question is could the boxster beat a z3 2.8?

Many thanks

rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #2

It all depends on the driver.

I assume you are not STREET racing! Racing is of course, for the racecourse!

Good luck on your new Box and welcome to our forum.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #3

Depends on the driver and the versions of each car. I used to switch cars for a couple of days with my boss who has a 2002 3.0i Z3, with 225HP. I have a 2001 Boxster with 217HP. Having driven both many times, his 3.0i had just a hair more get up and go than mine. Nothing insane, but noticable for sure. My guess is the 2.8 version would be very similar in a strait line to the non S Boxster.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by natecooper
Depends on the driver and the versions of each car. I used to switch cars for a couple of days with my boss who has a 2002 3.0i Z3, with 225HP. I have a 2001 Boxster with 217HP. Having driven both many times, his 3.0i had just a hair more get up and go than mine. Nothing insane, but noticable for sure. My guess is the 2.8 version would be very similar in a strait line to the non S Boxster.

Hi,

Horsepower by itself is never a very good comparitive Metric and in this Context means NOTHING! You may think the BMW has a slight edge because of it's 8 HP advantage over the Boxster, and may wish to lean on this fact to justify losing to the Bimmer. But, in reality, it is your Boxster which has a slight edge over the Z3.

Using a Power to Weight comparison, your Boxster hauls 12.8 lbs. with each of it's 217 Ponies, while the Z3 is forced to move 12.9 lbs. with each of it's 225 Horseys. So clearly, Horsepower is NOT the reason you were unable to best Bimmer.

It could be the Drivers and the differences in their styles and skills.

But, I suspect the reason will actually be found when comparing the Torque and HP Curves. I suspect the Bimmer has more usable power, while the Boxster's is much more confined to the Tach's upper altitudes, and this gives it the edge. Kinda like the Drag Racer who crosses the Finish line 1st while the opponent actually posts a faster time.

'Course, as I already stated, you could just be a ********************ty Driver..

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:37 PM   #5

MNBoxster, I don't see a lot positive posts from you. This is the kind of sarcasm that makes people leave the forum. Is HP the crux of the issue, no, but it is one messurment which everyone looks to. There are a million factors, down to things that are near impossible to measure (what kind of tires, what tempature, what tread is left...) Had you read my post, I have driven the BMW many many times. Fact of the matter is, it all comes down to actually driving the cars. You state that the Boxster has the slight edge, and I'm guessing you have not driven a 3.0i before. The 3.0i I have driven has always had more get up and go than my boxster. And yes, I am a ********************ty driver.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:41 AM   #6

Quote from Jim,

'Course, as I already stated, you could just be a ********************ty Driver..

Course you Jim, could be a self important blow hard with a Nightrider fantasy. You should convert that Boxster to natural gas, you could circle the globe several times.

Happy Motoring!!

Last edited by stucatz; 01-30-2006 at 02:58 AM.
stucatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:57 AM   #7

The z3 2.8 supposedly should only have about 190hp on its back.
I dont really like the handling of that car ..

But thanks so much guys. i love this forum be it for the negatives and the positives its just so rich in content !
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by natecooper
MNBoxster, I don't see a lot positive posts from you. This is the kind of sarcasm that makes people leave the forum. Is HP the crux of the issue, no, but it is one messurment which everyone looks to. There are a million factors, down to things that are near impossible to measure (what kind of tires, what tempature, what tread is left...) Had you read my post, I have driven the BMW many many times. Fact of the matter is, it all comes down to actually driving the cars. You state that the Boxster has the slight edge, and I'm guessing you have not driven a 3.0i before. The 3.0i I have driven has always had more get up and go than my boxster. And yes, I am a ********************ty driver.
Hi,

If you want to judge the body of my contributions on a single post and interpret these in a Negative Light, then sobeit - your choice, nothing I can do.

But in this, and your subsequent, thread regarding the match-up of the Boxster vs. Z3, you consistently emphasise the HP difference between the two.

As you rightly pointed out, there are numerous variables which need to be factored into such a comparison, but you keep failing to consider these things in trying to conclude why the Z3 came out on top.

HP as a measure of anything but the power the Engine produces means nothing and is used by Manufacturers, Auto Mag Reporters, etc. mainly for Marketing purposes. If you fail to consider the amount of weight that this HP must move, then no real comparison can be had.

Lotus Cars run shoulder-to-shoulder, or beat outright, many of their contemporaries, all the while employing much less Horsepower to do so. This is because Lotus Cars have the greater Power to Weight ratios, they put more emphasis on the Weight. This is not some theoretical side arguement, it's real life.

In this specific comparison, as I stated, while the Boxster does have a slight edge in the PW ratio, and while this may in fact be enough to make the difference you describe, I believe the true answer will be found in comparing the Torque and Power Curves of the 2 Cars.

The Z3, produces it's Peak HP of 225 HP @ 5900 RPM vs the Boxster's Peak of 217 HP @ 6500 - More, Earlier. The same holds true of their Torque. The Z3 makes 214 ft lbs @ 3500 while the Boxster's 192 ft lbs isn't reached until 4500 rungs on the Tach. Given that their overall PW ratios are nearly identical, this is where the advantage most likely lies. Below 4500 RPM, the Z3 is actually the more powerful Car - it should win. You even noted this in your description of it having "More Get-up and Go".

So far as your driving prowess, I have absolutely no idea (or interest for that matter) if you're the Second Coming of Arynton Senna, or can't back out of your driveway straight. I was merely trying to inject a little levity (as noted by the Emoticon) into the Mix, which from subsequent replies, I aparently failed to do. Don't take it so hard...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-30-2006 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucatz
Quote from Jim,

Course you Jim, could be a self important blow hard with a Nightrider fantasy. You should convert that Boxster to natural gas, you could circle the globe several times.

Happy Motoring!!
Hi,

You misquote me (omitting the Emoticon from my statement substantially changes my meaning), and I'm the one deluded by Fantasy..??

I look forward to more of your contributions... (Note: Emoticon)...

Old 01-30-2006, 06:26 AM   #10

It is time to tone down the rhetoric a bit guys. When discussing two autos as fine as the Box and the z3, I suggest we stay light about it.

I have owned both cars and liked them immensely. They are different to be sure and each great at what they are supposed to be.

To me, we live in the golden age of autos, so many great ones to buy and drive.

Lets not forget this and bash each other!

Thanks!

:dance:

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #11

I believe Tiff drove a z3 2.8 and a 986 around 5th gear's track with the 2.8 placing first, by a pubic hair.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #12

Our Boxsters look better. "Porsche Wins!"
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralegen
Our Boxsters look better. "Porsche Wins!"
Lets not forget it has twice the trunk space too!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #14

and moreover, we all own boxsters and not z3's! That says a lot about us, a far superior sort of discriminating driver compared to those ninny front engine girlie men.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #15

What he said! And umm, Boxster owners are better looking too! Yeah, better looking! That's it!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #16
olly986

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
What he said! And umm, Boxster owners are better looking too! Yeah, better looking! That's it!

Pete i most definately second that one, oh god i am so beautifuuuuul!!!