View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by natecooper
Depends on the driver and the versions of each car. I used to switch cars for a couple of days with my boss who has a 2002 3.0i Z3, with 225HP. I have a 2001 Boxster with 217HP. Having driven both many times, his 3.0i had just a hair more get up and go than mine. Nothing insane, but noticable for sure. My guess is the 2.8 version would be very similar in a strait line to the non S Boxster.

Hi,

Horsepower by itself is never a very good comparitive Metric and in this Context means NOTHING! You may think the BMW has a slight edge because of it's 8 HP advantage over the Boxster, and may wish to lean on this fact to justify losing to the Bimmer. But, in reality, it is your Boxster which has a slight edge over the Z3.

Using a Power to Weight comparison, your Boxster hauls 12.8 lbs. with each of it's 217 Ponies, while the Z3 is forced to move 12.9 lbs. with each of it's 225 Horseys. So clearly, Horsepower is NOT the reason you were unable to best Bimmer.

It could be the Drivers and the differences in their styles and skills.

But, I suspect the reason will actually be found when comparing the Torque and HP Curves. I suspect the Bimmer has more usable power, while the Boxster's is much more confined to the Tach's upper altitudes, and this gives it the edge. Kinda like the Drag Racer who crosses the Finish line 1st while the opponent actually posts a faster time.

'Course, as I already stated, you could just be a ********************ty Driver..

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote