Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
jakesbox

First CEL

Threw my first cel on a very short drive. First time ever after owning two of these cars and what a sick feeling it gives.

Car started to shutter quite a bit and I looked down and cel was blinking. Seemed like no power loss but it was shuttering so I couldn't tell. It went away as I was coasting to find a spot to pull over , I put it back in gear as I lost too much speed in the busy road and it happened again. It was about 5 seconds worth each time. IMS, aos, oil filler tube all just done along with oil change and filter...all in the past 800 miles. Also put on that ghl exhaust about 200 miles ago.

I am going to order the durametric and see what it shows. There was no smoke, no weird noises, everything seemed to be working just fine.

In the meantime. Anyone else ever experience this type of shuttering with a cel? Btw it was a flash, flash, flash, flash, flash. Not quick and not slow flashes.

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

First of all, a flashing check engine light is not good, your manual will tell you to stop running the car when this happens and tow it to a shop geared to handle Porsches.

Without knowing what codes are thrown, anything would purely be a guess. Stop using the car, get the Durametric and scan it, only then will you know how to proceed.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
First of all, a flashing check engine light is not good, your manual will tell you to stop running the car when this happens and tow it to a shop geared to handle Porsches.

Without knowing what codes are thrown, anything would purely be a guess. Stop using the car, get the Durametric and scan it, only then will you know how to proceed.
Out of curiosity would a MAF issues show up as a flashing CEL, a solid CEL or none at all?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #4

It could, but again, without the actual codes, anything is a guess............
Old 10-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
It could, but again, without the actual codes, anything is a guess............
I just ordered the enthusiast durametric tool. Hope I can figure out how to use it and get the codes.

If I don't hit the clear button the codes will remain correct? Meaning if I check and determine I can't fix will the P shop still be able to pull those codes?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

Garage
Had a coil go with similar symptoms not long ago... usually they either go bad quickly but I've seen a few go intermittent like that... were you driving in rain by any chance? Should spit a code P0300-P0305 if its a misfire caused by a coil.
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Had a coil go with similar symptoms not long ago... usually they either go bad quickly but I've seen a few go intermittent like that... were you driving in rain by any chance? Should spit a code P0300-P0305 if its a misfire caused by a coil.
H
No not in the rain. The car has felt a little off in the sense that it may have misfired this week but the exhaust I have can make it a little confusing as it pops and grunts and not sure of it was a misfire or the exhaust. Then this happens. I will post up the codes as soon as I get the durametric tool which will hopefully be sometime this week. I hope it is nothing catastrophic or major and something I can diy
Old 10-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I just ordered the enthusiast durametric tool. Hope I can figure out how to use it and get the codes.

If I don't hit the clear button the codes will remain correct? Meaning if I check and determine I can't fix will the P shop still be able to pull those codes?
In order to clear any codes, you have to take specific steps, so it is not easy to erase them by accident. Under the engine module in the Durametric you will see "Fault Codes", directly beneath that menu choice is "Erase Fault Codes"; one reads the codes but does not erase them, the other erases them. Very straight forward. As long as you do not erase them, and the problem persists, the DME will retain them.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post

Yes, you can view it and it remains until another area is clicked to clear it.