Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #21

l located and bought a generic fuel pressure tester with a Schrader valve fitting on it for $50 and it fits the car. I made a jumper wire to power the fuel pump specifically ( Bentley manual). Gauge indicated no pressure at all but there was battery voltage at the plug for the pump. The pump remained silent. I've pulled it out of the tank and will order a new one when the dealer opens next. Hopefully a new one solves all. Is there anything else I should replace, 'while I'm in there'?

Last edited by woodsman; 10-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The MAF has little impact below 3,500 - 4,000 RPM, it should not impact starting....
Jeff, I wish that were true, but go check my MAF threads. What I had was no problem on an intial cold start and drive. On a hot restart - after letting the car sit for a while - I would get a no start condition. Engine would crank, start, stumble, stop. All in about 1-3 seconds. Pulling the MAF would allow the car to start and drive off without any noticble perormance issue. Replacing the MAF resolved the problem.

I originally though the issue was a crank position sensor, so I have one in the bag now. JD suggested I pull the MAF as a trial test. Good thing to or I'd still be stumbling aroung repalcing parts looking for a solution. As an FYI this was with a P0102 error though.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Is there anything else I should replace, 'while I'm in there'?
Every time I have to fix either fuel delivery, intake issue, replacing MAFs, before tuning, or when the tailpipe blacken, etc etc... I also change my six little sparkplugs as well. Cheap cheap!

Sorry to hear about your FP mate. Hopefully she will take your back on the roads on time before storage
Old 10-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Every time I have to fix either fuel delivery, intake issue, replacing MAFs, before tuning, or when the tailpipe blacken, etc etc... I also change my six little sparkplugs as well. Cheap cheap!

Sorry to hear about your FP mate. Hopefully she will take your back on the roads on time before storage
They've only got 18 000 km on them (over 2 years). I hope there's no other prob besides the pump, like a vac leak or MAF. The weathers been poor lately but it's nice now and for the next 5 days or so. I probably won't have the pump in hand for 4 more days. I've only driven baby 6500 km in the last 12 months. It pains me. She needs- I need... I'm going to finish polishing the hood today then glaze and some carnuba wax to protect her.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #25

Suffering catfish! Sunset Porsche wants $418 for a fuel pump AND 3-5 days before THEY get it! Then 1-2 before I get it! For 15% more they can have it expedited to them overnight. Let's see, I live in a RAINFOREST and there's no rain in the 5-day forecast and the rainy season is about to start and I haven't driven baby for like a week already ( and baby doesn't see rain)....Yep, I did it- it's only money, right?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #26

Update

Fuel pump came in. It looks EXACTLY like the one pictured on pelican ($263 VDO) and the E-bay example listed by nine8six, above, for $236 ( VDO). I've worked in MFG and know that mfg's can have different standards/ boxes/ labels for the same product but find myself wondering what more I gained by paying Porsche (Sunset) almost $200 more. Learned some stuff while installing it:

1) you have to carefully pre-bend the fuel hoses into a similar shape as the old ones or they'll interfere with the fuel level float. You want them to pass the sending unit on the OPPOSITE side of the float apparatus. I used 2 zip-ties to insure they did this (in Pelican's technical DIY, Wayne noted this as well).

2) the rubber gasket should be placed INSIDE of the tank neck FIRST, then insert the sending unit into it, as you attach the fuel lines and electrical connector.

3) with the vehicle running the gauge recorded 45 lbs
Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #27

Yep, it's only money you said it right

Glad you are back on the road and it was only the FP. Now go kick the hell out of her for what she did... 45lbs sound like more than enough for that