Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #1

Exhaust system recommendations?

Does anyone have some advice they can share regarding exhaust system upgrades for a 2001 S? I am overhauling the stock 3.2 motor and am considering exhaust systems. I'm not sure whether to go with a complete header/muffler setup ($$$) or just a sport muffler system connected to the existing manifold/CATs. I realize its mostly personal preference and budget, but does anyone have any advice to a newbie on what I should be considering? I need it to pass CA smog. I'd like better performance and sound, but I'm not a racer just a weekend enthusiast. Anyone ever install Fabspeed's maxflo muffler system (w/o the headers) - or is it bad thinking to attach an expensive muffler system to stock manifolds and CATs? Any advice would sure help

Dave2001S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

Garage
Fabspeed's warmup cats back system would be my 1st choice disregarding cost. I believe it is the only mass produced system with 2" piping & muffler inlets. You will notice a improvement in performance. You may have to reinstall stock parts to pass smog. While engine is out replace stock air box with 987/Cayman airbox for bigger increase.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

I just finished installing a Topspeed Mufler and 2nd CAT delete on my 2001 S.

Go to the DIY section and see what other folks and I have done.

Its a cheap (~$500) and easy DIY job and it sounds great!.

Since your in CA I expect your going to need it to pass SMOG?

If it needs to pass SMOG you will have to keep a CAT on your headers so I recommend to leave them as is, but apparently folks pass CA SMOG with the 2nd CATs removed without issue.

I'll find out in 2 years since I just had my SMOG and installed the system right after that.

The Topspeed muffler alone had a drone to it but when I removed the 2nd CATs with the CAT delete pipes the drone went away and the sound quality improved greatly and only being a bit louder than before over 3000 rpm, and about the same but sportier sounding below 3000 rpm.

Highway cruise was as quiet as the original I'd say.

I can recommend the Topspeed system.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #4

catback?

Yes, it does need to pass CA smog, and I'm probably not the type that would want to r&r exhaust gear every 2 years to get it to pass. Sorry to ask neophyte questions (I'm on a steep and expensive learning curve), but what is a 'catback' system? Am I putting the cart before the horse thinking of installing an expensive muffler exhaust system on stock manifolds and CATs? Or is that perfectly fine, albeit less preferable. I heard someone mention "European CATs", what are those and do they pass CA smog? Thanks so much for the help.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

Catback = keeping stock headers and cats (catalytic converter), then replacing/upgrading the muffler and final section of pipe till it reaches open air.
so everything from the edge of the cat. back to the end of the tailpipe.

Keep researching and using google to find the system you want. if money was not a factor I would recommend replacing everything! heads, cats muffler the whole 9 yards!
which system you choose boils down to what sound you like. There are plenty of CA boys here who have gotten passed smog checks with complete systems. Search it on the forums and you will see many posts about this.
read up on the arguments of how much low end torque each system will drop, if any at all, for the HP gain.
Hear the system in person if possible as you might not be familiar with the drone enemy that is prevalent in aftermarket exhausts on the box.
In terms of cats. they can be either more restrictive and leave a better CO2 footprint, but bog the engine down a bit. Or they can be inverse of that. (CA smog issues lol)
Good luck, keep reading as much as you can on the issue, dont forget to search and keep asking questions.

MORE IMPORTANTLY
if you do get any system we will never believe you! unless you post vids/pics
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
I am a fan of the stock exhaust for a street car in Calif. Everything else looks like Russian roulette with CA emissions testing.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
Does anyone have some advice they can share regarding exhaust system upgrades for a 2001 S? I am overhauling the stock 3.2 motor and am considering exhaust systems. I'm not sure whether to go with a complete header/muffler setup ($$$) or just a sport muffler system connected to the existing manifold/CATs. I realize its mostly personal preference and budget, but does anyone have any advice to a newbie on what I should be considering? I need it to pass CA smog. I'd like better performance and sound, but I'm not a racer just a weekend enthusiast. Anyone ever install Fabspeed's maxflo muffler system (w/o the headers) - or is it bad thinking to attach an expensive muffler system to stock manifolds and CATs? Any advice would sure help
The oem exhaust system is restrictive in many ways. However, a great deal of money and effort is required in order to improve upon the existing system. If your main objective is to simply have a better sounding exhaust, that can easily be accomplished with just about any high quality after aftermarket catback. But, if your goal is to actually improve horsepower and torque values, that will require a major undertaking involving headers, low cell cats, ECU tune ect... This I can assure you is no simple or inexpen$$ive task.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
The oem exhaust system is restrictive in many ways. However, a great deal of money and effort is required in order to improve upon the existing system. If your main objective is to simply have a better sounding exhaust, that can easily be accomplished with just about any high quality after aftermarket catback. But, if your goal is to actually improve horsepower and torque values, that will require a major undertaking involving headers, low cell cats, ECU tune ect... This I can assure you is no simple or inexpen$$ive task.
Stock baby, all the way................

TO

unless you think you're smarter than all the engineers who put the whole package together in the first place.......just sayin'.............
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #9

All I have done is the "Cryos" mod on my 2.5. both shops that I have taken it to always complement me on how much better sounding the new lower note is. and w/o any drone.
but it adds nothing to performance. and is a bit..... barbaric in terms of modification haha
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
I did the fabspeed maxflo catback mufflers on my first boxster and ABSOLUTELY LOVED the sound.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #11

This: http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/986fullnhp32.html

Complete set-up, no drone, easy install, incredible welds (possibly robot-welding), sportcar's deep sound, but not annoyingly loud (the best part).

Passes smog test. Amazing performance upgrade is you love it in the mid/high range revs. Depreciation in the low revs (it's a huge pipe system after all).

Ask them a good price to slap in another ecu map (extra) and I promise you'll be laughing for more than $2,500.

Priceless
Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #12

I DESNORKLED and was amazed at the quality and volume of sound increase whenever I got on the throttle. COST - 15 minutes.
Then I wanted some engine roar so I installed Topspeed's secondary cat-bypass pipes and got a nice deep exhaust note for only $180 and no noticeable noise increase at part-throttle or at highway speeds. They don't effect emissions but you 'could' get caught on a 'visual'.
Next I'll do the CRIOS mod for good measure. Keep asking questions.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #13

In case you did not know the boxster has 4 catalytic converters, 2 per side.

The primary cat with its 2 oxygen sensors is mounted in the header.

The 2nd cat is not sensored and thus easy to eliminate, and the car willl still pass ca smog tests.

There is a very noticeable improvement in responsiveness to the throttle in my 2001 S so that alone was worth it as the car became even more lively.

The sound improvement was also great as well and I mute the radio to enjoy the exhaust note at every opportunity.

I was sceptible as well but can confirm that the improvements are real. No sure about hp, but it sure feels like more torque and the quicker response is going to help at the track for sure.

If you want to take a look and listen and are near riverside let me know.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 09-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #14

Thanks

Thanks for the useful advice. I'm 40 min from Riverside, would love to see/hear.