View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2001S View Post
Does anyone have some advice they can share regarding exhaust system upgrades for a 2001 S? I am overhauling the stock 3.2 motor and am considering exhaust systems. I'm not sure whether to go with a complete header/muffler setup ($$$) or just a sport muffler system connected to the existing manifold/CATs. I realize its mostly personal preference and budget, but does anyone have any advice to a newbie on what I should be considering? I need it to pass CA smog. I'd like better performance and sound, but I'm not a racer just a weekend enthusiast. Anyone ever install Fabspeed's maxflo muffler system (w/o the headers) - or is it bad thinking to attach an expensive muffler system to stock manifolds and CATs? Any advice would sure help
The oem exhaust system is restrictive in many ways. However, a great deal of money and effort is required in order to improve upon the existing system. If your main objective is to simply have a better sounding exhaust, that can easily be accomplished with just about any high quality after aftermarket catback. But, if your goal is to actually improve horsepower and torque values, that will require a major undertaking involving headers, low cell cats, ECU tune ect... This I can assure you is no simple or inexpen$$ive task.