Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

Engine Trouble

While driving yesterday evening, my 1999 Boxster 2.5 engine shuddered and died (CEL but not flashing). I was able to restart and get home (only another 1500 ft or so) but the car wouldnt idle (roughly died), ran rough while under a load at about 2k rpm and would only crank when I feathered the gas (and immediately died when I let off the gas). I searched on the forum and immediately thought MAF (also, indie shop recommended MAF replacement while in for a different service when I mentioned rough idle a few months ago...I cleaned with contact cleaner and ran like a charm). I came home this evening and disconnected the wiring harness for the MAF and nothing seems to have changed...immediately dies after cranking unless I feather the gas; runs rough around 2k rpm (while sitting - no load) ad dies unless Im on the gas. Anyone have any thoughts on other causes? Im about ready to give up and have it towed to my indie shop

luke1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Has the fuel filter been replaced? I would replace that first if it hasn't been. Then I would check to make sure the coil pack wiring harnesses are all seated correctly and that the car is not misfiring. If the fuel filter and plugs are okay I would have the fuel pump checked for failure. The MAF might also just need to be replaced instead of cleaned. The previous owner replaced the MAF on my car before I purchased it. While you're checking these things cleaning the throttle body and idle control valve would be a good idea. Sounds like fuel starvation to me though. Good luck!
BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1834 View Post
While driving yesterday evening, my 1999 Boxster 2.5 engine shuddered and died (CEL but not flashing). I was able to restart and get home (only another 1500 ft or so) but the car wouldnt idle (roughly died), ran rough while under a load at about 2k rpm and would only crank when I feathered the gas (and immediately died when I let off the gas). I searched on the forum and immediately thought MAF (also, indie shop recommended MAF replacement while in for a different service when I mentioned rough idle a few months ago...I cleaned with contact cleaner and ran like a charm). I came home this evening and disconnected the wiring harness for the MAF and nothing seems to have changed...immediately dies after cranking unless I feather the gas; runs rough around 2k rpm (while sitting - no load) ad dies unless Im on the gas. Anyone have any thoughts on other causes? Im about ready to give up and have it towed to my indie shop
Without the codes, anything would be a guess, but I seriously doubt it is the MAF......
Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #4

Unfortunately, I dont have a code reader (though I think that will be my next investment once the current issue has been paid for!)...Into the shop I go...I will be sure to update the post as I learn more.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #5

Well, the diagnosis is in - a faulty idler control valve was to blame! Changed the valve, cleared the codes and reattached the MAF and all is well. Back to happy motoring