986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Engine Trouble (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/47540-engine-trouble.html)

luke1834 08-05-2013 01:55 PM

Engine Trouble

While driving yesterday evening, my 1999 Boxster 2.5 engine shuddered and died (CEL but not flashing). I was able to restart and get home (only another 1500 ft or so) but the car wouldnt idle (roughly died), ran rough while under a load at about 2k rpm and would only crank when I feathered the gas (and immediately died when I let off the gas). I searched on the forum and immediately thought MAF (also, indie shop recommended MAF replacement while in for a different service when I mentioned rough idle a few months ago...I cleaned with contact cleaner and ran like a charm). I came home this evening and disconnected the wiring harness for the MAF and nothing seems to have changed...immediately dies after cranking unless I feather the gas; runs rough around 2k rpm (while sitting - no load) ad dies unless Im on the gas. Anyone have any thoughts on other causes? Im about ready to give up and have it towed to my indie shop :(

BrandonJames89 08-05-2013 02:11 PM

Has the fuel filter been replaced? I would replace that first if it hasn't been. Then I would check to make sure the coil pack wiring harnesses are all seated correctly and that the car is not misfiring. If the fuel filter and plugs are okay I would have the fuel pump checked for failure. The MAF might also just need to be replaced instead of cleaned. The previous owner replaced the MAF on my car before I purchased it. While you're checking these things cleaning the throttle body and idle control valve would be a good idea. Sounds like fuel starvation to me though. Good luck!

JFP in PA 08-05-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luke1834 (Post 355758)
While driving yesterday evening, my 1999 Boxster 2.5 engine shuddered and died (CEL but not flashing). I was able to restart and get home (only another 1500 ft or so) but the car wouldnt idle (roughly died), ran rough while under a load at about 2k rpm and would only crank when I feathered the gas (and immediately died when I let off the gas). I searched on the forum and immediately thought MAF (also, indie shop recommended MAF replacement while in for a different service when I mentioned rough idle a few months ago...I cleaned with contact cleaner and ran like a charm). I came home this evening and disconnected the wiring harness for the MAF and nothing seems to have changed...immediately dies after cranking unless I feather the gas; runs rough around 2k rpm (while sitting - no load) ad dies unless Im on the gas. Anyone have any thoughts on other causes? Im about ready to give up and have it towed to my indie shop :(

Without the codes, anything would be a guess, but I seriously doubt it is the MAF......

luke1834 08-06-2013 03:41 AM

Unfortunately, I dont have a code reader (though I think that will be my next investment once the current issue has been paid for!)...Into the shop I go...I will be sure to update the post as I learn more.

Thanks

luke1834 08-13-2013 08:03 AM

Well, the diagnosis is in - a faulty idler control valve was to blame! Changed the valve, cleared the codes and reattached the MAF and all is well. Back to happy motoring :)