Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
That may be true of some companies but Porsche's numbers always seem to be on the conservative side. It seems that most car rags get times that are a couple of tenths quicker than the official numbers from Porsche.
Hi,

You may be right, I have not paid that much attention.

But, before you go appluading this practice, think about how much Porsche benefits their Reputation by doing so - it boosts it out of proportion to the actual stats, especially with Mag Reporters and Editors, who then go on to eagerly support the Brand. A Company which understates it's numbers is being just as manipulative as a Company which boosts it's numbers.

Just another contrived way of influencing the Buying Public IMHO...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-14-2006 at 10:53 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
But the point is that Porsche is one of the standards they will use to benchmark their ride. IMO
yep - when I had my last 'Stang, by the time I got rid of it, it was heavily modified and would set off car alarms when I revved the engine. It looked and sounded mean as hell and no one would try me from a stop light. Now that I have my 987, it seems that every other day I get some kid who wants to street race me.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #23

Me too

It seems like every tom dick and harry in a ricer with a fart bag exhaust wants to try and see how the boxster runs. Also pontiac pilots are another group in general that want to leave the stop light before anyone else....Funny when I'm in my roadster nobobdy wants to play!
ford40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford40
It seems like every tom dick and harry in a ricer with a fart bag exhaust wants to try and see how the boxster runs. Also pontiac pilots are another group in general that want to leave the stop light before anyone else....Funny when I'm in my roadster nobobdy wants to play!
Wow, that looks sweet. What's under the hood? Any idea of what you can do in the quarter with that thing?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #25

@ ford40

Very Nice Rod! I go annually to the MSRA Street Rod show here in Mpls. It's reputedly the Largest Street Rod gathering in the Country - have you been..??

BTW, do you suppse that your License Plate may have something to do with dampening the Spirit of those StopLight Quarter-Milers..??

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #26

Well I guess the license plate is a bit of a challenge....goes very well in a straight line....a bit of a white knuckle ride with the straight axle! It's got a 350 chevy with about 300hp and a 4 speed going into a posi rear end by chrysler. I have never scaled the car but I don't think it goes much over 1800 lbs...it's all steel and all original (29 body on a 32 frame). MN I haven't made it to the meet you mentioned but have been to the nationals in Louisville KY and seeing 12k+ rods is just something you can't describe!
ford40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:51 PM   #27
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Tell me about it. Out of 40 cars at my jobs parking lot...there are 6 mustangs. My Boxster and this babe's Mercedes CLK 320 are the only German cars there. There were 8 mustangs at its peak.

Blink, send us some pictures.....of the babe....OK!