Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #21
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
iirc there is an intake air temp sensor; ecu uses it to revise fuel trims. it's mounted on one of the intake plenums. you can log the data with your durametric. more likely the wires on the sensor heat and affect the sensor reading.
It should be pretty easy to test the wrap then.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #22

temp sensor is part #17 on the parts diagram here:

http://c782366.r66.cf2.rackcdn.com/107-10.gif

perhaps the air filter heat soaks - lots of opportunity to heat the air as it passes through the filter.

I read on another forum where a guy put ram air side vents on his boxster (you know, scoopy vents). from what I could calculate you need to be going 150 mph or so before you get the benefit of 'ram air' - forward velocity forcing air into the intake faster than the engine can suck it in - so I thought they were useless. what he noted, however, was that the ram air intake cooled the intake air charge considerably. I guess the reduced diameter of the of the intake caused a venturi and cooling effect. so, what is of more benefit - less work to draw the air in given larger diameter intake, or forcing the engine to accelerate/decelerate the air to cool the intake charge with a constriction in the intake?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #23

Maybe a little of both....well it's really only a vèlocity stack but at least it keeps me from going deaf at 4 to 5.5K

Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #24

cool, you modified the snorkel?

the more I think about it, the more I think that the air filter might be the culprit. relative to the rest of the intake tract, the air passes through the filter slowly. that would give the filter the opportunity to heat up from radiant engine heat and, in turn, heat the air as it passes through the fine filter element. I bet that oil on the aftermarket air filters gets even warmer. solution is, as posted previously, to locate the filter outside of the engine bay like jfro, or actually in the rear quarter like the bgb/fabspeed unit for caymans.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #25

Yes, cut off and shaped the end with plastic weld...then lots of hand finishing

The opening area size is a little larger than three inch diameter. Who knows if this the right philosophy. I just could not put the stock size opening in there...

It would be would be great to get some before and after temps with various changes. I can measure my configuration once my OBD2 issues are resolved

I originally had a foiled up intake duct (3.25) but it got chewed up going in the engine bay so I scrapped the foil.

Yes I will eventually go 987 box but need the garage space to do it....think I will be rotating the engine down at the front for this so I don't ruin one box or the other.