Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #1

Central Locking/Alarm Issue

Hi
I've just bought my first Porsche, a 1997 2.5 Boxster Manual UK RHD spec. It has got a few problems that I suspect are linked but don't know how to solve. Issues as follows:-

Passenger (left side) door does not lock either with the key or the remote or the button on the dash Remote button on key does not work even though the LED lights up and the red light on the dash flashes. I can open/lock the drivers door with the key but when I do, the horn beeps twice Other than that, car works fine and starts/runs perfectly.

I've got hold of a durametric and got the following fault codes/messages:-

Alarm Current Fault Codes
47 No Central Locking Possible Central Locking synchronisation Status: Present Number of times DTC present: 1
46 No Central Locking Possible Central Locking synchronisation Status: Present Number of times DTC present: 1
41 No engine start possible Transponder pill faulty or not present Status: Not present Number of times DTC present: 1
34 No passenger compartment monitoring Interior monitoring sensor short to B+ or faulty Status: Present Number of times DTC present: 1
45 Central Locking or unlocking not possible Server motor. Central Locking system short to B+ Status: Present Number of times DTC present: 2

Bit of a long list but anybody got any idea what all that means on a practical level ie how do I fix it!

Thanks for your help Richard

vvrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #2

There are many postings with similar (but never identical) problem.
Easiest test would be to disconnect the battery for few minutes anf give it a try.

My best guess is that the "door is open" switch is stuck. Or in my case, faulty soldering inside the door lock mechanism.
Does the windoe drop a little when the door handle is pulled?
Does the window stay little down as long as the door is open?
And does the window go all the way up when you close the door?

If any of the condition exists, my guess is a bad switch in the mechanism
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

A little thing to check ...

The inside door handle has to go all the way back for the locking to work .

Is there any play in it ?
it should be spring loaded ....

With the window open , reach in and push the inside handle back into its normal position .

I have to do this every time I lock the car , until I investigate it tomorrow .
The spring is around 6 dollars , so I'm hoping its a quick cheap fix on my car .
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #4

Thanks for your help. Turned out to be the control box under the seat that had previous water damage. Not cheap but now replaced and working fine. Pain is that you have to have all the keys re-coded to teh new box!

vvrich is offline   Reply With Quote