Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #21

Garage
I put this system on my 2002 2.7 and originally thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life. The vibration was incredible and the sound awful. Fortunately I decided to give it some time.

The computer needs to adjust to the new muffler. Some people have suggested it takes about 500 miles before it adjusts. Just driving 500 straight miles will not do it. Like all computers it needs do a restart before it adjusts slightly. Each time I turned the car on and brought the vehicle up to temp and then shut the vehicle off the exhaust would sound slightly better on restart.

For me it is now 4 months later and I love the exhaust under hard acceleration and deceleration. The car now burbles (some call it farting) under down shifting. Above 3000 rpm the sound is fantastic.

Now for the down side. Porsche drone. Defining drone is your own personal opinion. My 2.7 is less pleasant (also vibration increases noticeably) under steady throttle or light throttle between 2300 - 2700 rpm. The resonance is not enjoyable and several passengers have complained. The exhaust note also gets louder at this rpm. 55 mph in 5th gear is 2500 rpm and I don't like it. Good news is 55 mph in 4th gear is 3100 rpm and the car sound marvelous. You are going to learn to change your shift points.

My exhaust is bolted directly to the Porsche transmission support frame. I am going to undo the bolts and add a little rubber between the washer and the frame to try and isolate the vibration from the car more. May be all that is needed to make the exhaust a little more enjoyable.

gj3ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to Chard
Cool, thanks for the writeup. If you could report back on the mounting solution and how it works for you, that'd be awesome. I wonder how hot the tranny gets and what kind of rubber you'll have to use in order to prevent melting.

I assume the resonance will be different since I have a 3.2, but maybe not??

Past:
'99.5 B5 A4 1.8tqms, '02 e46 m3 convertible
Chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #23

Garage
I just bought one of these mufflers for my 99 base. thanks for the write up. How did the rubber spacer work and what did you use? Piece of a tire might work.