Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

stainless brakeline install problem

hello, I bought some lines from Pelican and have installed one but it required tossing the OEM retaining clip. Now the line floats in the bracket that's attached to the inner fender. I know this will cause wear in the future and wonder if anyone has used these and found a solution that will remain in place despite the harsh environment it's in.
Also, I previously read Wayne's DIY article on the Pelican Parts site on Stainless br lines but cannot locate it now- is it gone? I can locate the article for rubber lines only.

Last edited by woodsman; 06-09-2013 at 01:07 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
hello, I bought some lines from Pelican and have installed one but it required tossing the OEM retaining clip. Now the line floats in the bracket that's attached to the inner fender. I know this will cause wear in the future and wonder if anyone has used these and found a solution that will remain in place despite the harsh environment it's in.
Also, I previously read Wayne's DIY article on the Pelican Parts site on Stainless br lines but cannot locate it now- is it gone? I can locate the article for rubber lines only.
You should not be running the car with the line flopping around, the clip needs to be there to hold it steady. I have never seen a quality stainless brake line kit that required tossing the OEM retaining clips................
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

I had the same problem with pelican lines for my 987. They did not machine a groove in the fittings to accept the clip. I returned them and purchased elsewhere. Gyrodisc lines are very nice, but do cost a bit more.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #4

my brake lines came from pelican and worked fine with clip. uncertain what the issue is? the clip doesn't grab the brake line, it presses against the bracket to pull the brake line in against it.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #5

Even if I use the clips they'll only prevent movement in one direction, the other depending on the kink in the hard line and contact with the inner fender ( RF). This because the new line end will slide right down through the hole in the bracket . I could use plastic ties but I'm a worrier and need things to be perfect before I can forget them. Every single movement up or down will stress this 'location device'. I'll have to buy another set. BYPRODRIVER has said that a certain type of Porsche race car ( Porsche Cup?) used OEM rubber coated lines. Maybe they're good enough after all. I've always wanted the stainless but do they really offer any benefit?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Even if I use the clips they'll only prevent movement in one direction, the other depending on the kink in the hard line and contact with the inner fender ( RF). This because the new line end will slide right down through the hole in the bracket . I could use plastic ties but I'm a worrier and need things to be perfect before I can forget them. Every single movement up or down will stress this 'location device'. I'll have to buy another set. BYPRODRIVER has said that a certain type of Porsche race car ( Porsche Cup?) used OEM rubber coated lines. Maybe they're good enough after all. I've always wanted the stainless but do they really offer any benefit?
Something is wrong in all this, you comments about the line moving in one direction with the clip in place got me to thinking that you don't have them assembled correctly. The stainless flex line should pass thru the mount on the car's frame, and clip should slide thru, pulling the shoulder of the line against the mount:

This is a pic from a 911, but the mounts are basically the same. When the stainless line is in place with he clips in, it actually hold the assembly so firmly that you can tighten in the hard line without another tool (the clip and mount hold it).

And yes, they are a very worth while upgrade, we have installed a lot of them.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #7

my car looks very different JFP. I have only a clip that is held in place by a notch on the side of the OEM line end and slides on the threads of the hard line fitting. I wish I had the clip style you've shown as it 's simple and it works and every other car I've owned used them.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

is there no bracket? the fitting on the end of the stainless line should partially pass through the bracket. as the fitting on the end of the hard line tightens onto the stainless line the clip pushes against the bracket and holds the assembly in place. google images "boxster brake line"; you'll find pics and the pelican how-to.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #9

thanks guys, I'll have a go at it using the OEM clip and see how it feels. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #10

For the record, I have found I am able to install the stainless lines with the stock 'lock- clip' device after bending it somewhat, into a revised shape. This is less than ideal as it appears to be a piece of hardened steel and as such should not be permanently bent as it makes it forever more fragile/ brittle. I'll report any failure of said piece(s) here. I wonder if there's a set of lines available which use their own device, instead of the OEM clip?