Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

6 speed transmission repair question

It seems that the pinion bearing on my 6 speed tranny is failing (the differential has excessive noise when you unload it at low speed).

A friend that specializes on Porsche cars told me that you need a press with 40,000lbs capacity to replace the bearing...

I am planning to remove the pinion shaft, by any chance do you know where can I take it to get this bearing replaced?

PS; I live in the LA area

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #2

Garage
The pinion bearing is the last thing on the counter/output shaft. It will require everything pressed off the shaft in order to get to the bearing.

Try Callas Rennsport. There is a special plate that holds the shaft centered and vertical for pressing. I am sure someone could rig up a device, but the special tool is really nice to have when pressing everything back on.

Skoot
Skootnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootnasty View Post
The pinion bearing is the last thing on the counter/output shaft. It will require everything pressed off the shaft in order to get to the bearing.

Try Callas Rennsport. There is a special plate that holds the shaft centered and vertical for pressing. I am sure someone could rig up a device, but the special tool is really nice to have when pressing everything back on.

Skoot
Thanks for the tip Skoot, Tony Callas told me that Jeff Ericson (AASE) had the special tooling, but Jeff instead send me to California Motorsports (AZ)

California Motorsports - Porsche transmissions, transaxles, gears, differentials, parts, service, manufacturing

It seems that you need a 40 ton (..!) press to remove the pinion bearing, most likely I will be sending the entire output shaft to CMS..

Regards, Gilles
Old 05-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Thanks for the tip Skoot, Tony Callas told me that Jeff Ericson (AASE) had the special tooling, but Jeff instead send me to California Motorsports (AZ)

California Motorsports - Porsche transmissions, transaxles, gears, differentials, parts, service, manufacturing

It seems that you need a 40 ton (..!) press to remove the pinion bearing, most likely I will be sending the entire output shaft to CMS..

Regards, Gilles
Gilles CMS is good, I love how my trans shifts with their billet shift arrester. You should have one installed while your trans is apart.

Hergesheimer Motorsports is good with trans too & they are in Lake Forest, talk to Eric there.

Cayman take off parts here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/01X-409-121-A-498-081-Porsche-987-Cayman-S-Boxster-Differential-Pinion-Set-/170941052728?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cce17738#viTabs_0

Last edited by BYprodriver; 05-31-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: more info
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

[QUOTE=BYprodriver;345268]Gilles CMS is good, I love how my trans shifts with their billet shift arrester. You should have one installed while your trans is apart.

Hergesheimer Motorsports is good with trans too & they are in Lake Forest, talk to Eric there.

Hi Bill,

Yes I know Eric and Mark (actually they are very close to my office) and you are right they have a great shop, but was not aware that they also rebuilt gearboxes..

However I do know that Eric goes through a lot of them on his race car... ha