Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 AM   #1

squeaking rear

Was driving my 97 boxster (which hasn't been used in 2 weeks) yesterday and heard squeaking from rear whenever I passed over a speed hump. Shook the rear portion when I parked and squeaking sound was evident. Are these the shocks going bad or is there some part just needing lubrication? The ride hasnt changed though so I'm hoping it's not the shocks. Looking forward to your input.

rrb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:22 AM   #2

Could be dust or stucked cat in the springs etc Spray the surrounding tires/wheels and bottom of the car with water (car wash) and see if the noise goes away.

Otherwise it is the bushings that need replacement or sway bar that needs lubrication.

Boxster is a squeaky car
Old 01-04-2006, 05:27 AM   #3

My guess is that it simply is "DRY" from sitting.

If you can, get it up on a lift and spray appropriate parts with a quality lubricant.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 AM   #4

I hope it's nothing but dry parts for you, but on my 97, it was a worn lower control arm on the front driver's side. Dealership quoted $800, my mechanic charged me $400, $200 for the part, which he had lying around his garage and $200 for two plus hours labor to install it.

He also removed the other one for grins and inspected it, found it to be in fair condition but lacking grease in the ball joint, and repacked it. He said that Porsche says to replace them and not repack them, but he said it could and was done well on my other one.

If the squeaking persists, you may need to get it into a shop because if it's a control arm like my squeak was, it can be potentially dangerous.

BTW, my sqeak became louder and louder as the aluminum control arm base came into more and more contact with the steel bit to which it attaches (sorry, I don't know enough about it to name this part!)

Hope this helps, and I do hope it's not a control arm...but on 97's these parts do tend to wear out, especially if you have 70k or more on the car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
bmussatti

Try lubricating the bushings in the suspension and sway bar.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #6

Sorry for the late reply guys. Was on my way to the shop to have it looked at. Squeaking went away. Nothing. I had the it lubricated anyway. Boxsters really tend to act up when its just sitting in the garage. By the way mine has 24,000 km. Driven only on sundays. Thanks again gentlemen.
rrb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
bmussatti

Maybe you should add Saturdays to your routine too! Good luck, glad it has worked out for you.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrb986
Driven only on sundays.
I think I can hear your car crying from here. Heck, I read your post to my Boxster and it start crying out of sheer sympathy!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Heck, I read your post to my Boxster and it start crying out of sheer sympathy!
The visual of a grown man reading to his Boxster. ROFLMAO!!!

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote