Thread: squeaking rear
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
RandallNeighbour

I hope it's nothing but dry parts for you, but on my 97, it was a worn lower control arm on the front driver's side. Dealership quoted $800, my mechanic charged me $400, $200 for the part, which he had lying around his garage and $200 for two plus hours labor to install it.

He also removed the other one for grins and inspected it, found it to be in fair condition but lacking grease in the ball joint, and repacked it. He said that Porsche says to replace them and not repack them, but he said it could and was done well on my other one.

If the squeaking persists, you may need to get it into a shop because if it's a control arm like my squeak was, it can be potentially dangerous.

BTW, my sqeak became louder and louder as the aluminum control arm base came into more and more contact with the steel bit to which it attaches (sorry, I don't know enough about it to name this part!)

Hope this helps, and I do hope it's not a control arm...but on 97's these parts do tend to wear out, especially if you have 70k or more on the car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote