Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

986 Plenum swap - which one?

Guys

Want to fit a larger TB to my 2.7 986.

I asked my dealer for price and availability of the plenum 996 110 116 00 which is typically used, and they came back with 996 110 215 53 which is half the price.

The 215-53 takes the same TB, and the 116-00 is intended for the 4WD 996 - so does anyone know what the physical difference is? (215-53 is listed as 2WD).

Anyone used a 996 110 215 53 on their 986?

Thanks guys

BG

BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
these are the parts i have ordered (not installed yet):

1 - 997 110 416 03 997 plenum

4 - 900 385 025 04 bolt

4 - N 011 524 27 washer

1 - 997 110 319 00 throttle body gasket

and i'm using a 74 mm throttle body from a Cayman (same part # as the 997&996).

information is courtesy of TRK.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #3

Hi

That plenum is from a 3.8S by the looks of it - I could not find any reference to it online in terms of 986.

Could you post some pictures of it, showing the AOS entry etc?

When are you fitting it?!?!

BG
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Hi

That plenum is from a 3.8S by the looks of it - I could not find any reference to it online in terms of 986.

Could you post some pictures of it, showing the AOS entry etc?

When are you fitting it?!?!

BG
Hi BG.

you might be right.
however, many guys on this forum did the exact setup with satisfying resoles.
if you have the time, read this extremely useful thread about the subject.
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31693-maf-throttle-body-diameter.html
its a little bit long but will give you all the info you need.

in order to fit the plenum, you will need to use silicon reducers between plenum and intake, and new plumbing between TB and air filter.
i will take some pics of what i have and post it later tonight.

as for your last question.
probably never
i just finished a major project on my car couple of months ago (clutch,IMS,RMS,AOS...) and put everything back to stock.
the plan was to dyno the car (to get a base reading) and install the large TB, headers, test pipes, custom made exhaust, UDP and ECU remap.
the idea was to dyno the car in each step, and post the results.
not gonna happen.
the car is probably going to another home tonight.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

Meir What!

Meir, say it ain't so! What is next? black is white? JD is a eunuch serving in a monastery? I've counted on your level-headed exploration of boxster issues since getting mine, relying on your sage advice to keep me from mod folly and point me in the right direction. Who will take up the mantle of mechanically enlightened layman, freely distributing the fruits of your knowledge to those of us more timid with our endeavors? The 986 brotherhood will be markedly diminished by your exit from the fold. And your poor car - think of the depredations it will suffer at the hands of the next owner!
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Meir, say it ain't so! What is next? black is white? JD is a eunuch serving in a monastery? I've counted on your level-headed exploration of boxster issues since getting mine, relying on your sage advice to keep me from mod folly and point me in the right direction. Who will take up the mantle of mechanically enlightened layman, freely distributing the fruits of your knowledge to those of us more timid with our endeavors? The 986 brotherhood will be markedly diminished by your exit from the fold. And your poor car - think of the depredations it will suffer at the hands of the next owner!
have no fear, ill still be here

as some of you know, i have a neighbor that owns a 99 base, and i was helping him in the last year (in fact saved him more than 2K in labor and parts).
his car is in my garage at the moment.
he asked me to service the car for him.
after replacing filters, oil, and TB+MAF cleaning, i toke it for a ride.
10 minutes in to it, i noticed the car is overheating. drove it back to my garage, and inspected the fans.
driver side fan doesn't work at all. passenger side, only on high speed. (jumper the relays inside the car).
removed the front bumper and liners. removed 20 lb of leaf, and powered the fans directly.
Fans work. so resistors are toasted. Called him over to get his approval of ordering the parts (also found a creaked vacuum line at the TB), and had a little chat and he said how he wish he had my car.
As I joke, I said he can have it if he will give me 10K and his car.
Since the parts are delayed (waiting for the stupid vacuum line to come from Germany), I gave him my car so he can get to work.
He called me last night, and said that if I’m serious, we have a deal.
Im about to by my first home and the 10K will be nice addition to the down payment.
Sure, I put more than that in the car, but I get to keep his, and none would have paid me for what I put in it.
So not only that I’m not going any ware, I’m starting all over again.
Not sure what I will do with the “new” car yet (a silver 99 base with 150 k miles on it)
But that will be another thread.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
^^^ Best story ever? Talk about an interesting turn of events...

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
1999 base

Garage
OK. as promised, some pics.

all the parts:

the AOS inlet location:

the redusers (need to be cut to size):

plenum part number:

TB:

Old 05-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

Whew! Thanks Meir. I'll put the pills back in the bottle... Should have known there would be a great back story.
Is that blue silicone piece the best option for making the turn? I haven't tried this yet, and maybe there just isn't room for a smoother transition, but the inside corner looks pretty sharp if the goal is clean air flow.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
A monastery perhaps. But, "nun" such chance of me being there as a eunuch !
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Whew! Thanks Meir. I'll put the pills back in the bottle... Should have known there would be a great back story.
Is that blue silicone piece the best option for making the turn? I haven't tried this yet, and maybe there just isn't room for a smoother transition, but the inside corner looks pretty sharp if the goal is clean air flow.
as i mentioned, i didn't get the chance to install it, but i saw others do it.
you also going to end up with another 90 degrees (or close to it) turn at the air filter box. is it the perfect solution? obviously not, but within the limitations that's the only way to go.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #12

Is that 90 degree elbow to connect the intake to the TB or intake to Maf tube? I was planning on buying the ipd intake tube although expensive at 200 its one piece.

Looking at my motor this weekend it looks like the TB and plenum and intake go in assembled. It doesn't look like they can be installed one part at a time.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 05-19-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #13

IPD tube

Ckrikos- did you go with the IPD tube? If so, how did it work out? I don't see it listed as a separate item on their web site, but the pics show it to smooth out the inside corners nicely, so taking lessons from what was previously posted on this topic, it may be the best solution. Thanks for sharing your experience.