View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Meir
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
Meir, say it ain't so! What is next? black is white? JD is a eunuch serving in a monastery? I've counted on your level-headed exploration of boxster issues since getting mine, relying on your sage advice to keep me from mod folly and point me in the right direction. Who will take up the mantle of mechanically enlightened layman, freely distributing the fruits of your knowledge to those of us more timid with our endeavors? The 986 brotherhood will be markedly diminished by your exit from the fold. And your poor car - think of the depredations it will suffer at the hands of the next owner!
have no fear, ill still be here

as some of you know, i have a neighbor that owns a 99 base, and i was helping him in the last year (in fact saved him more than 2K in labor and parts).
his car is in my garage at the moment.
he asked me to service the car for him.
after replacing filters, oil, and TB+MAF cleaning, i toke it for a ride.
10 minutes in to it, i noticed the car is overheating. drove it back to my garage, and inspected the fans.
driver side fan doesn't work at all. passenger side, only on high speed. (jumper the relays inside the car).
removed the front bumper and liners. removed 20 lb of leaf, and powered the fans directly.
Fans work. so resistors are toasted. Called him over to get his approval of ordering the parts (also found a creaked vacuum line at the TB), and had a little chat and he said how he wish he had my car.
As I joke, I said he can have it if he will give me 10K and his car.
Since the parts are delayed (waiting for the stupid vacuum line to come from Germany), I gave him my car so he can get to work.
He called me last night, and said that if I’m serious, we have a deal.
Im about to by my first home and the 10K will be nice addition to the down payment.
Sure, I put more than that in the car, but I get to keep his, and none would have paid me for what I put in it.
So not only that I’m not going any ware, I’m starting all over again.
Not sure what I will do with the “new” car yet (a silver 99 base with 150 k miles on it)
But that will be another thread.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote