Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #1

Question Wetter water?

Does anyone have experience with this product? Supposed to lower temp. Is it compatible with P-car antifreeze? Thanks in advance,

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #2

It's very-very hard to beat our OEM Porsche coolant.

The only guys that I know who run Red Line water wetter are those track rats, who may or may not be allowed to run coolant (due to spills or leaks on the track). Coolant is very slick on a race track.

Allen, so in other words you either run OEM coolant or straight water with water wetter. You DON'T run OEM coolant with the addition of water wetter. Does this make sense?
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

I run Pentofrost GU12. Rated for Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, and so on.

It's red. Temp is perfect, runs great. Only for use in sealed, pressurized systems where the resivouir is sealed and a pressurized part of the cooling system.

Expensive.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
It's very-very hard to beat our OEM Porsche coolant.

The only guys that I know who run Red Line water wetter are those track rats, who may or may not be allowed to run coolant (due to spills or leaks on the track). Coolant is very slick on a race track.

Allen, so in other words you either run OEM coolant or straight water with water wetter. You DON'T run OEM coolant with the addition of water wetter. Does this make sense?
__________________________________________________ ________________

Thanks to all those who responded.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

If you're looking to help lower engine temperature, I am selling LN Engineering 180 degree T-Stats if you're interested. Let me know, I have 3 ready to ship out. Perfect time to replace it is you are going to flush cooling system, and yes I also recommend using O.E. coolant. Pentofrost is a good alternative and less expensive.
Autobahn Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post

You DON'T run OEM coolant with the addition of water wetter.
@Flavor 987S is right on!

We have had experience with Redline Water Wetter in Sport Bikes. Yes, this product is used heavily on the track. It DOES WORK at reducing coolant temps (so you can run higher RPMs) and stay cooler. It works VERY WELL. However, you DO have to change it out frequently.

We observed that IF YOU DID NOT change it often enough (like every 3 races) it would develop some rust in the cooling system. So, we would run it at the track. Put good ol' Prestone in there during the week and change it to Water Wetter on racing weekends.

NOT recommended to run BOTH at the same time! The stuff DOES work well! First time I used it I thought the gauge was lying to me. Not recommended for everyday use…unless you like to "burp" a lot! My $.02.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Modern antifreeze/coolant is a trade off between cooling efficiency and raising/lowering the boiling/freezing point of the coolant. The upside is the ability to tolerate a wider range of temperature extremes; the downside is that modern coolants do not transfer heat as well as plain water. Yes, I was surprised by this fact as much as you are! Thus, modern engines have increased coolant flow as a requirement to make up for the heat transfer reduction from the use of a modern coolant.

Water wetter is an additive that adds some of the additive package (anti-corrosion, etc) of modern coolant into plain water so you can use plain (distilled) water as your "coolant". Obviously, you don't want to use this approach if the temps where you live ever get around freezing.

While water wetter makes race track clean up easier, most racers use it simply because of the improved heat transfer (and resulting lower water temps) of plain water.

Ref: Ethylene Glycol Heat-Transfer Fluid
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-03-2013 at 07:33 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
Ditto on home boy's reply. WW works, but only mix it with water. And you'll need more than a 12 oz. bottle... The mix should be 50/50.
If the car's running hot, there are better ways to cool it down.

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote