Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 02:20 PM   #1

Paintless Dent Repair?

Someone put a very noticable dent on my driver's side toward the rear. (about an 1/8th inch deep dent from what appears to be opening rear door onto my 987). I've read about paintless dent repair, which would probably run about $140. Any experience with PDR? Anything to watch out for? Woud they take the panel off for the repair?

Thanks in advance

kskimtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
bmussatti

kskimtahoe, that's a bummer. Sorry.

I don't think they will take the panel off.

Do a search on this forum for Paintless Dent Removal. You'll find some good advice, information and testimonials. There was some really good posting about a month ago.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
bmussatti

kskimtahoe, also do some searching about "parking" and you'll find some great advice & additional information, so this type of damage might not happen again in the furure.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #4

Call your local dealer and ask who they use. We have several that come by my office all the time. Dent Doctor or Dent Wizard are two of the companies I've used. They took a SOFTBALL sized dent out of the side of my Pathfinder a few months ago and amazed everyone. I think that cost me $150 so yours shouldn't be more than $50. Most of the time they charge $50 per panel if there aren't too many of them.
sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #5

In Atlanta the cheapest price is about $95 for the first dent, but you do get a discount on other dents on the same panel. Interestingly this is a case where your dealer may be cheaper! They sublet it of course, but can drive a bargain with the dent repair crew. Call them first.

In general if they're good the work is magical. Just be sure they can get behind the panel or work if from the outside...I would not use PDR if they have to drill to get behind the dent.
Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C Atlanta
I would not use PDR if they have to drill to get behind the dent.
I disagree with that statement....I would rather have a properly sealed hole (easily explainable) instead of paint work on the car. A small ding will require filler and blending on the panel(s).
sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:35 AM   #7

If done properly, drilling is vastly superior to paint work.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:22 PM   #8

Thumbs up pdr

just got two dings out using reputable pdr co. and was amazed of outcome.
looks as if though it never happened. if you have a ding or dent i strongly encourage you to try pdr before you have a body shop work on your car i was lost when i saw the dings but some advise from the board and now im a believer. 100% satisfied or its free. in los angeles area call vince 562 896 8507.
with 10 years experience. he did an awsome job. drilling is not always
required. oh and i agree w/ sdkkv. pdr over body work any day.

let us know how it turns out!

Last edited by jrdiesel01; 11-19-2005 at 12:26 PM.
jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote