Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005, 10:38 AM   #1

Upgrade to GPS?

Hi All,

Has anybody upgraded their 97 - 02 (?) radio's to the radio/GPS unit? I have a 98 and once I get all these little engine problems taken of I've been considering installing the factory GPS unit.

If anybody has tackled this job I would enjoy your feedback.

Thanks

G

GDietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #2

I'm anxious to hear about this as well...

I have a 99, but was under the impression, that you can only upgrade 02 and up./...
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
bmussatti

What about a handheld GPS device? Are any of these good enough to be used in a car?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #4

I have a 2000 S and has the factory GPS system in it. I think it was a special order as it was not a factory option for that year. Unfortunately, they don't make Canadian CD's for this GPS unit for that generation. I do have the Calif. CD for it.

Don't know how well the GPS works, but all the other functions work well on it.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #5

I just purchased a Garmin StreetPilot C330. Its the size of a baseball, and comes with a suction cup mounted frame, that you can leave on the windshield and just take the unit down (the power cord is built into the frame). It is also battery powered for those times you do not want to use the cigarette lighter plug. It comes with all of the US, Canadian and Puerto Rican maps preinstalled on its hard drive (European maps for you guys who buy it on the other side of the pond). I am really impressed by the size and performance of this unit. It finds any address or point of interest quickly, has a huge database of points of interest (stores, gas stations, restaraunts, etc.) and is incredibly easy to use. You can choose from a large number of voices/languages. Right now I am using British English, because I think the accent is hot on a woman! It even has a slot for a memory card to add additional points of interest as well as being equiped with a USB port for downloading firmware updates. I paid $550 for it, which I believe to be very reasonably compared to the price for the Porsche factory unit. My only gripe is that the unit is just a tiny bit too wide to be able to be placed into the door pockets, so I have to put it in the trunk when I am not in the car.
9000RPMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #6

Do you mean this one?

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=00004490078&Category_Code=POTEBXCM

I have a 99'. This a direct fit - no splicing or anything, just slide your old one out and the new one in. And there is the GPS antenna. There was a wire to hook up to the speedo, but I never did it and it works fine w/o it. It is basically a Harmon Kardon Traffic Pro with slightly different labelling. As you can tell the screen is not huge, the audio is the primary way of telling you when to turn, etc.

It works good for what it is. It has the factory look. You have to input everything GPS with the knob on the right.

I'd recommend it if you can get it for $300 of less. It's an old system.

The newer Garmin Street Pilots and the TomToms and a few others out there are better - they have more features, but do not have the factory look - not sure how important that is to you.

HTH,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #7

Hi,

GPS..?? That's just the latest Gotta Have. How many of you actually drive to unknown or uncharted places? And, if you do ever go Over the River and Through the Woods, don't you plot your route prior to departure?

I'm an old Naval Aviator and in the Air or on the Sea, with no readily identifiable Landmarks, GPS makes Navigation so much simpler. It's a valuable Tool. But, a Car never leaves the road. Yet, even with GPS, RDF (Radio Direction Finding) and Inertial Navigation Systems, we were still trained in Celestial Navigation in the event that Combat Damage would make the NAV Systems go Kapoot!.

IMHO, GPS on a Car ranks right up there on the list of Totally Nonsensical Options with Curb Feelers.

Of course, if you have to have the Bragging Rights, or just don't think you've given Porsche enough of your Hard Earned Cash, then Go For It!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:17 PM   #8

Traffic Pro

I installed a HK Traffic Pro in place of a CDR 220. Works good not great. Not like the modern Navs available today. Great in big cities not so in smaller ones. Gives arrows and voice commands no map since the display is small. They are available online for 400 to 500 dollars. Install instructions are available also takes about 3 hours total. I am a submariner and I would disagree with the last post. Most folks who try a Nav like it. But maps and mapquest work well also. One great feature is the detour around traffic accidents function. Just punch it in and it gives a revised route around the hold-up. In summary not a must have more of a nice to have.
ATB,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #9

I can't imagine needing a Nav system for driving around Toronto (I know the city pretty well and have a good map book in case I get turned around) but I do know that they're GREAT in rental cars in foreign cities. I used a GPS system in a rental car in LA one time and it really saved my hide. Now I don't need it much though since I've become quite familiar with the city.

overall I'm with MNB.. for most driving they're a bit frivilous -- give me a good map book and I'm ready to go. Maybe that's the outdoorsman in me coming out
berj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 AM   #10

Lightbulb Get a pigeon for navigation

overall I'm with MNB.. for most driving they're a bit frivilous -- give me a good map book and I'm ready to go. Maybe that's the outdoorsman in me coming out [/QUOTE]

Another pilot two cents opinion. If you don't know where you are going get yourself another brain. A map and knowing which way is North, South , East and West gets you there the same way. Where these systems would be nice if they had a real time uplink driving conditions for metropolitan areas and avoiding traffic back ups.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:57 AM   #11

i think we are missing the point of the thread!

GDietrich is asking for technical advice on installing the Porsche NAV System in an 98 Boxster....

Not on people's opinion about the wonder that is GPS!!!
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #12

WOW - I had no idea this was going to spark such a response! I do allot of traveling and when I get the chance to take the Boxster it would be nice not to have to look down at a map (although I DO bring it with me) or pull over and waste a few "driving" minutes.

I was just hoping to get some feedback.
GDietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #13

Talking

A talking GPS in a vehicle is much better than any map if you are married. I ordered my wifes SUV exclusively with a GPS System and a DVD Entertainment System. When we go on road trips into unknown areas sure we can look at the map and argue for 30 minutes but when a soothing voice tells you to turn right in a 1/4 of a mile, it is much easier on your marriage and on your mind, in the meantime your children in the back are not fighting and touching each other but sitting happily watching a DVD with their wireless headphones on, making the trip that much more enjoyable. I personally love to drive and bought my boxster for the purpose of driving without distractions. I think if I had to take my wife somewhere in the boxster over a long weekend in a place we had never been navigation could mean the difference between a great weekend and a looong cold weekend.......
tkerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennizxxx
i think we are missing the point of the thread!

GDietrich is asking for technical advice on installing the Porsche NAV System in an 98 Boxster....

Not on people's opinion about the wonder that is GPS!!!
Quite right.. my bad. Apologies all around.
berj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #15

Back to topic, has anyone got advice on obtaining and retro-fitting the factory GPS unit on a 97 - 98 Boxster?

AndyDickens is offline   Reply With Quote