Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to series 7
HP gains

Im looking for more power out of my boxster and I was wondering what route I should take. I dont know how much power I could get from intake/exhaust/headers/ecu, but I was looking there. My first choice is that if the power is enough, but I'm thinking very heavily on taking her under the knife and throwing a 996 engine in. Im looking for power to be around or over 270/280 and I dont think that normal mods are going to cut it. I would supercharge it, but I dont know how safe/reliable they are. I already have access to the engine/tranny from a 911. Can anyone tell me the experiences they have had with mods and power gains? Anyone have a supercharger? I would be very interested in one if it's reliable enough.

series 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
You ever consider a Boxster S engine? Just wondering,howcome running your 0-60 in 6 seconds is not fast enough?
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #3

Hi,

IMHO, the power gains on the Boxster are fairly minimal and not usually a good cost/benefit ratio. My research indicates that about $1,000 will yield a max. 7 - 10 HP gain. To me at least, this isn't an especially good trade. In many cases, it's barely noticable, because the power increase happens at the limit of the power curve - prints a nice Dyno sheet but is not really experienced in day-to-day. Also, such increases are often accompanied by similar decreases in the Mid-ranges, which is where you spend much more time.

There's a lot of contrary Butt Dyno information out there, but it's not empirical and hard to separate the Real from the Placebo Effect.

So far as Forced Induction, it can give real gains. But, Heat Management and Longevity issues often pop-up. Some guys are into all the Techno-Wizardry of this Boost Controller or that Pop-Off valve, but not me.

Another downside to Forced Induction, IMHO, is drivability. Forced cars are inherently schizophrenic. That is, they have two personalities, one On-Boost and the other Off-Boost. This can become problematic if the Boost comes on in say at an Apex. I own a Lotus Esprit and it too experiences this, but it's Transmission is better Geared for it (which the Boxster isn't) and this mitigates the effect to a degree, but it's the one characteristic I'm not overly fond of.

I believe the 996 engine swap is a better way to go. The increase is ready-made and usual for this engine. Power is more linear and low-end torque response will be much improved over a pumped-up Boxster engine. Add to this that you aren't pushing it beyond it's design limits. When you start pumping up a basic engine, reliability and longevity can sometimes be the trade-off. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-09-2005 at 09:39 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
You could knock a easy half second off your 0-62mph time with a Powerchip,without any loss in your powerband(you have to use 93 octane though). The part is on page 25 of Performance Porducts magazine. Gains on a 2.5L are 18HP and 16Lbs on 93 octane,2.7L are 19HP and 15Lbs(up to year 2002). You can knock off that half second for only $840.00.
Added with that you could buy a Powerflow Kit from Performace Products on pg.27 which gains 13HP for $445.95,but I have no clue on its effects over the whole powerband.
So for only $1500 with installation you could be running a 2.5L Boxster with a Boxster S.
Keep in mind I have on clue what these parts would do to how long the car last or drives.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:56 AM   #5

I have no doubt that the catalog indicates the data below. I have to say that based on the input of folks here on the Forum, there is no way you are getting this kind of performance enhancement. Not even close!

However, we always suggest that folks here try these mods IF the seller will warranty that the HP gains are verifed by Dyno. If not , the seller should warranty in writing that they will take back all mods and provide a full refund plus shipping.

Seems fair, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
You could knock a easy half second off your 0-62mph time with a Powerchip,without any loss in your powerband(you have to use 93 octane though). The part is on page 25 of Performance Porducts magazine. Gains on a 2.5L are 18HP and 16Lbs on 93 octane,2.7L are 19HP and 15Lbs(up to year 2002). You can knock off that half second for only $840.00.
Added with that you could buy a Powerflow Kit from Performace Products on pg.27 which gains 13HP for $445.95,but I have no clue on its effects over the whole powerband.
So for only $1500 with installation you could be running a 2.5L Boxster with a Boxster S.
Keep in mind I have on clue what these parts would do to how long the car last or drives.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:22 AM   #6

And what about the usual HP mods, exaust/headers, etc, im sure it does something right? Also, what catalog is this, where can I view it?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by series 7
And what about the usual HP mods, exaust/headers, etc, im sure it does something right? Also, what catalog is this, where can I view it?
Hi,

You're absolutely right! Headers can make a difference. But again, only 10-15 HP and for about $1,700-$2,200, so we're right back again with the estimated $1,000/7-10HP ratio.

Also, Headers do little to enhance low-end performance (torque) and may actually impede it.

Finally, it very much depends on where this extra power is formed - where in the RPM range. If all the power gains occur at 6,000RPM (and this is where they usually do), all it is really good for is to produce Dyno or Time Slips as these are usually the only two places where you will regularly run in this range. Plus, there is almost always a corresponding decrease in HP/Torque somewhere else in the PowerBand (usually the Mid-ranges), lowering your Net gains as well as making the car less powerful in day-to-day. The power isn't really usable...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #8

As far as mods go, I have done the B and B exhaust and the Evo Cold air intake kit with excellent results. I definately notice more low end power in daily driving. Most noticable was the sound of the exhaust and intake, it sounds like a different animal at full throttle. My buddy with an 02 911 C4S drove my car without the mods and the weekend after the mods and immeadiately noticed the difference and in fact has ordered exhaust and intake kit for his 911!

Now I havent dynoed the car yet, but given the results that I have experienced, I dont really care about the numbers... I can FEEL the difference and that is what matters to me.

Cost: 500.00 for the intake... 135.00 for the install
810.00 for the exhaust and 50.00 for the install

Total $1495.00

Increased driving satisfaction...... PRICELESS
(cheesey, I know, but it somehow works!)

mind you I am in the car business and the installs were mostly
favors!

I will invite anyone in the Phila area to come and drive my 01 S
and feel the difference... with my supervision of course... haha

Happy motoring,
Joe
01 S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #9

"with my supervision of course... haha"

Then, all of our fun was sucked out of us!

Old 10-13-2005, 06:14 AM   #10

does anyone have a 911 engine swap done on thier boxster, or know anyone who does? I know I'm not the only one to think of it and have seen it before. There was one for sale in Dupont Registry.

On a side note, does anyone know if an aftermarket spoiler for the 987 that replaces the stock one would fit on a 986? (Speedart 987 roadster spoiler)

http://www.speedart-tuning.de/de/programm/karosserie/porsche_boxster_987/index.html
Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #11

Ruf has an engine swap program, but it's pricey. New US location in Texas.
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #12
bmussatti

Here is what Ruf Auto Centres says about the 987 on their web-site:

"2005-2006 Boxster S:

RUF offers a 3.8 liter 997 Carrera S Engine Conversion for the 2005-2006 Boxster S. Each conversion includes a crate motor from Porsche, complete RUF exhaust (headers, sport cats, muffler), RUF air intake, RUF tuned 997 ECU, all necessary wiring, hardware and labor.

The RUF 3.8 liter Boxster S conversion will yield 365hp and has the same reliability and maintenance intervals as a RUF 3800S and 997 Carrera."
Old 10-13-2005, 03:53 PM   #13

Give Suncoast Motorsports in Sarasota Florida a call. I purchased my BoxsterS from them and everytime I drop by, the service manager asks me if I am ready for some performance mods or an engine swap.
tkerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #14
bmussatti

Here is what Ruf Auto Centres says about the 986:

"2002-2004 Boxster S:

RUF offers a 3.6 liter 996 Carrera Engine Conversion for the 2002-2004 Boxster S. Each conversion includes a crate motor from Porsche, a new 996 flywheel, new 996 clutch, complete RUF exhaust (headers, sport cats, muffler), RUF air intake, RUF tuned 996 ECU, all necessary wiring, hardware and labor.

The RUF 3.6 liter Boxster S conversion comes in two versions. The standard 3.6 liter engine will yield 330hp. The "X51" version of the 3.6 liter engine will yield 355hp and uses a GT-3 ECU instead of a 996 Carrera ECU. Each has the same reliability and maintenance intervals as a RUF 3600S and 996 Carrera."

Ohh yeah...the cost for the 987 is $39,900 and the 986 is $32,900!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:37 PM   #15

I always wanted a $90K Boxster!

:dance:
Old 10-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #16
bmussatti

Et tu, Brute......I mean Brucelee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 07:56 PM   #17

I spoke to a representative at roock racing and they also have engine programs. there are a few to choose from, cheapest being a modded S engine w about 300hp, up to a modded 996 engine yeilding over 500hp. Prices range between 8k and 25k, not bad for what you get. Installation is about a months time for all the necessary adjustments and fine tuning.

www.roockusa.com
Old 10-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by series 7
does anyone have a 911 engine swap done on thier boxster, or know anyone who does? I know I'm not the only one to think of it and have seen it before. There was one for sale in Dupont Registry.

On a side note, does anyone know if an aftermarket spoiler for the 987 that replaces

http://www.speedart-tuning.de/de/programm/karosserie/porsche_boxster_987/index.html

You may want to check out Gary Samad's Boxster racing board. Alot of people over there have the swap.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #19

do you have a link to his board?
Old 10-15-2005, 06:14 PM   #20

www.iq.dynip.com/~racing/archive.cgi

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote