Thread: HP gains
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
MNBoxster

Hi,

IMHO, the power gains on the Boxster are fairly minimal and not usually a good cost/benefit ratio. My research indicates that about $1,000 will yield a max. 7 - 10 HP gain. To me at least, this isn't an especially good trade. In many cases, it's barely noticable, because the power increase happens at the limit of the power curve - prints a nice Dyno sheet but is not really experienced in day-to-day. Also, such increases are often accompanied by similar decreases in the Mid-ranges, which is where you spend much more time.

There's a lot of contrary Butt Dyno information out there, but it's not empirical and hard to separate the Real from the Placebo Effect.

So far as Forced Induction, it can give real gains. But, Heat Management and Longevity issues often pop-up. Some guys are into all the Techno-Wizardry of this Boost Controller or that Pop-Off valve, but not me.

Another downside to Forced Induction, IMHO, is drivability. Forced cars are inherently schizophrenic. That is, they have two personalities, one On-Boost and the other Off-Boost. This can become problematic if the Boost comes on in say at an Apex. I own a Lotus Esprit and it too experiences this, but it's Transmission is better Geared for it (which the Boxster isn't) and this mitigates the effect to a degree, but it's the one characteristic I'm not overly fond of.

I believe the 996 engine swap is a better way to go. The increase is ready-made and usual for this engine. Power is more linear and low-end torque response will be much improved over a pumped-up Boxster engine. Add to this that you aren't pushing it beyond it's design limits. When you start pumping up a basic engine, reliability and longevity can sometimes be the trade-off. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-09-2005 at 09:39 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote