Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

New 986 owner

Hey folks,

I just purchased a 2003 986 non s. I'd like to start doing the best bang for the buck mods to the car since I will be digging around replacing a few things anyway. While I am doing the general repair if there is a cost effective upgrade I would prefer to do that.

Suggestions including part number and vendor would be greatly appreciated.

That being said, for the following items should I go OEM or is there an upgrade for not much more money?

rear engine mount- I've read you can replace just the rubber but please advise
rear control arms- I am not going to be racing but I'm open to upgrading
Passenger Side pre cat- is on its way out- I've got CEL's and the exhaust has all kinds of rattles.

Thanks in advance.

0bserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Garage
I'm a new Boxster owner (2000 s) and after some searching I've decided that my first mod will be the 2ndary cat bypass pipes. Looks to be the best bang for buck. My first push was towards a different cold air intake, but after some investigating I decided stock intake will suffice for now. Fabspeed will be the manufacture I go with for the bypass pipes. I'm having it installed by a Porsche garage and the total cost will be around $700-$750. My expectation from this mod is better throttle response and better sound. If I get a few more HP then all the better.
murphy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy986 View Post
I'm a new Boxster owner (2000 s) and after some searching I've decided that my first mod will be the 2ndary cat bypass pipes. Looks to be the best bang for buck. My first push was towards a different cold air intake, but after some investigating I decided stock intake will suffice for now. Fabspeed will be the manufacture I go with for the bypass pipes. I'm having it installed by a Porsche garage and the total cost will be around $700-$750. My expectation from this mod is better throttle response and better sound. If I get a few more HP then all the better.
Thanks for the tip but I have to keep it 100% smog legal for now
Old 11-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Ex Esso kid

I'd forget control arm upgrades unless they need replacement and concentrate on repairing the CEL. After that go through the car for a while, it has plenty for you to learn about it in it's original form. This way you can locate and repair any other mechanical issues you may have missed, till you have it dialed right in like a race car. Once you are sure your repair money can be used for pleasure, search on the underpulley or go to RSS and check it out, no exhaust mod, best bang for buck, especially on non S 986. Enjoy the car and post pics, we never get sick of looking at Boxsters.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 11-03-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #5

There's some good advice. Fix the CEL, shake it out for a couple of months, and then see what you want to do. You'll likely finding your self taking a bit different approach than you originally thought you would. Plus you will know what your pre-existing conditions are when you make mods so that you won't be wondering if the new mod is at fault for something.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bserver View Post
Thanks for the tip but I have to keep it 100% smog legal for now
I think it would remain smog legal with bypass pipes... Doesn't your car have 4 catalytic converters? Eliminating the 2 unmetered secondary cats will not cause an issue. Even with a sniffer hooked up to the exhaust it will likely meet state minimums.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

i de-snorkel my boxster s, best free mod ever! your car will sound abit louder and your car will breath easier. also instead of a cold air intake, replace your air filter with k&n. Do not add any more oil to the filter as the filter has already been oiled.

mods on my shopping list includes:
- secondary bypass pipes by fapspeed
- underdrive pulley
- capristo exhaust (4k) (if i make enough money this year)
- 2004 oem clear head lights
- clear side indicators
- white number plate lights
- HID 8000k bosch head lights
- 18 inch Wheel dynamics 808 black rims (3k approx)

Mods: De-snorkel Intake, K&N Filter, Modified Exhaust, 2004 OEM Tail Light

Last edited by sugarboy7; 11-03-2012 at 10:17 PM.
sugarboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
I think it would remain smog legal with bypass pipes... Doesn't your car have 4 catalytic converters? Eliminating the 2 unmetered secondary cats will not cause an issue. Even with a sniffer hooked up to the exhaust it will likely meet state minimums.
Even in California?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
I'd forget control arm upgrades unless they need replacement and concentrate on repairing the CEL. After that go through the car for a while, it has plenty for you to learn about it in it's original form. This way you can locate and repair any other mechanical issues you may have missed, till you have it dialed right in like a race car. Once you are sure your repair money can be used for pleasure, search on the underpulley or go to RSS and check it out, no exhaust mod, best bang for buck, especially on non S 986. Enjoy the car and post pics, we never get sick of looking at Boxsters.

I had a local shop inspect the whole car and they said the Control Arms are shot. I don't need more adjustable CA's but if there is a better design that that maybe saves weight or improves ride I would go for it.

The CEL's were cleared and I drove it for a 25 miles trip and they have not come back.

I do have what sounds like a loose heat shield that needs attention and a broken E-brake assembly and microswitch. busted wiper stalk, floppy sun visor, bad microswitch causing the window to move at random. Nothing major thankfully but I am going to work my way through the list.

I would like to add the Robotop, RSS Pulley, 9x7 short shifter kit.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #10

Garage
Welcome, We have similar cars the RSS ia a good add on. All my shields rattled until I replaced the exhaust. Not to be the voice of doom Exhaust cells will go away but they come back O2 sensors don't cure them selfs I had all four replaced with Bosch and they worked good. Good luck enjoy.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Nope. Smog legal in Commiefornia means unmodified emissions controls. "No modified intake, headers, or cats." That doesn't mean just passing the sniff test. You may pass a bi-annual smog inspection if they don't do a thorough visual but you are not Calif. legal.

We have this great service provided by the good people in Sacramento... Random CHP roadside compliance inspections. If you get corralled by one of these with cat bypass pipes they will promptly impound your car and haul it to some distant yard where it will cost $3k to get it back. Fun in the golden state.

I often pass by these checkpoints with a car hauler standing by loaded with hot rod Hondas and Subis.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Nope. Smog legal in Commiefornia means unmodified emissions controls. "No modified intake, headers, or cats." That doesn't mean just passing the sniff test. You may pass a bi-annual smog inspection if they don't do a thorough visual but you are not Calif. legal.

We have this great service provided by the good people in Sacramento... Random CHP roadside compliance inspections. If you get corralled by one of these with cat bypass pipes they will promptly impound your car and haul it to some distant yard where it will cost $3k to get it back. Fun in the golden state.

I often pass by these checkpoints with a car hauler standing by loaded with hot rod Hondas and Subis.
Do they hang out near race tracks?

Never hear of this before, something new to consider when upgrading stuff.

Pretty soon you'll need cats for your butt in CA too they way the environmentalists keep dreaming up new revenue sources.

If beans were outlawed from restaurants here though, it would be fine with me

FYI Dave: Me and Half of "Team Yellow" will be at the Nov 24th Auto-X at Qualcomm.....more fun.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 11-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Do they hang out near race tracks?

No but they do sometimes show up at local car meets. This one was pretty near you a few years ago. Crazy stuff:
California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

Never hear of this before, something new to consider when upgrading stuff.

Pretty soon you'll need cats for your butt in CA too they way the environmentalists keep dreaming up new revenue sources.

If beans were outlawed from restaurants here though, it would be fine with me

FYI Dave: Me and Half of "Team Yellow" will be at the Nov 24th Auto-X at Qualcomm.....more fun.
Glad to hear you guys are playing together. Don't miss the Pomona DE this coming weekend:
RETROSPECTIVE>>ROAD RACING AT POMONA - Speedhunters