Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #1

HUD device

HUD speedometer display. I have been wanting a retrofit type of HUD since I have seen one in action on my friends 2012 Camaro. A Google search shows a number of them. Some read GPS and some read from your OBD port. Some need reflective film placed on your window and some don't. One nice one from England needs no film on window and uses OBD but is not compatible with Porsche.

Question is, have any of you had experience with these devices that you would like to share. I am in the market for such a thing as that little LED display way down left of the steering wheel is frustrating along with being inaccurate. Any suggestions etc. welcomed and thanks in advance.

AKL

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

Garage
Drove a few Corvettes & Cadillacs when HUDs debuted for GM about 10 years ago & found them far more distracting than useful. GM made HUD standard on some model of Corvette I was considering buying which eliminated it as a possibility & reinforced Boxster choice. I also drove a new BMW 7 series with HUD & I actually liked it. Subtle & informative.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #3

Garage
Track down one of the remaining unsold Saab 95 Aeros. They came equipped with a genuine HUD display . At this point, you could probably negotiate the purchase of one at 50% off of MSRP.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Track down one of the remaining unsold Saab 95 Aeros. They came equipped with a genuine HUD display . At this point, you could probably negotiate the purchase of one at 50% off of MSRP.
Nope, they need a special windschield. Take a number, many 2010-2012 new Saab 9-5 owners are trying to replace their cracked windschield but are not able to get the part anymore.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
On a HUD, would you even be able to see it on a sunny day with the top down? Unless the LEDs are super bright or there is some shade…wouldn't it be hard to see?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
On a HUD, would you even be able to see it on a sunny day with the top down? Unless the LEDs are super bright or there is some shade…wouldn't it be hard to see?
From the few I have looked at, you put a tinted film on the window where the reflection is. Film seems dark enough to show a good image yet transparent enough to see through. I wouldn't mount one of these dead center where my eyes see through the windshield but lower on the glass would be OK. Will do a lot of research before committing to one of these. The laser one from the UK looks like a winner and I am waiting for reply on fitment to Boxster.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #7

Home - hud-e.com

This is the one from the UK that I was considering. Anybuddy have experience with it? Does not need a tinted film on the windshield.

AKL
Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #8

Well, this doesn't make it any easier if a police pulls you over...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Well, this doesn't make it any easier if a police pulls you over...
I suppose you are right as you have even less of an excuse for "speeding". As long as the Valentine is on you should at least have a chance...

AKL
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #10

OBD HUD update

Received the HUD from the UK. OBD would not seat in the Boxster socket but did seat in my '09 Chrysler Town & Country van. Thing worked fine there but I don't need it there. I checked the OBD from my Durametric with the one supplied with the HUD. Dura. has a metal tab at the bottom and the HUD does not but rather a plastic extension of the surround material. Also the pins in the Dura. are much thinner than the ones in the HUD. I had no idea all OBD's were not made equal as I thought they had to be for interstate emissions checking etc.

I described the problem to the vendor and he said he would get back to me on Monday after he checked around. I requested a different OBD plug or I would have to return it. Any of you run into this difference in OBD plugs?

AKL
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield View Post
Received the HUD from the UK. OBD would not seat in the Boxster socket but did seat in my '09 Chrysler Town & Country van. Thing worked fine there but I don't need it there. I checked the OBD from my Durametric with the one supplied with the HUD. Dura. has a metal tab at the bottom and the HUD does not but rather a plastic extension of the surround material. Also the pins in the Dura. are much thinner than the ones in the HUD. I had no idea all OBD's were not made equal as I thought they had to be for interstate emissions checking etc.

I described the problem to the vendor and he said he would get back to me on Monday after he checked around. I requested a different OBD plug or I would have to return it. Any of you run into this difference in OBD plugs?

AKL
The OBDII connector is a standard.
The plug itself is the same in all vehicles from 96 and up.
With that said, the bracket of the OBDII connector can be different in it's mooting configuration. As far as I know, there are 4 types.
The "regular" most common comes in Japanese and European cars. has two clips on the sides to hold in place.
GM stile 1: the bracket has holes, so it is mounted with screws instead of clips.
GM stile 2: the bracket has rails. Mostly common with Pontiac cars.
And the German style. Has clips on bottom and top. Only comes in BMW, mercedes, Porsche, Audi and VW.
If you need one send me a PM. I might be able to help.
Just for reference, the pinout on all styles is the same.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
The OBDII connector is a standard.
The plug itself is the same in all vehicles from 96 and up.
With that said, the bracket of the OBDII connector can be different in it's mooting configuration. As far as I know, there are 4 types.
The "regular" most common comes in Japanese and European cars. has two clips on the sides to hold in place.
GM stile 1: the bracket has holes, so it is mounted with screws instead of clips.
GM stile 2: the bracket has rails. Mostly common with Pontiac cars.
And the German style. Has clips on bottom and top. Only comes in BMW, mercedes, Porsche, Audi and VW.
If you need one send me a PM. I might be able to help.
Just for reference, the pinout on all styles is the same.
Thanks Meir. The pins are much thinner on the Dura. than on the HUD so they mate up nicely in the 986. The HUD do not want to fully seat. I will check out the mounting styles.

AKL