Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 05:14 PM   #1

installed evo intake in 04 box s

hi all,i had aj usa in san diego install the evo intake late last week ,here is a pic of it...question , i thought it was suposse to have some kind of sheilding to block the heat from the motor..the guys at aj said that is all that came with the kit....on a differnt note,when i was at the ventura show a few weeks ago the guys from giac were there and they convinced me on there chip mod..so the guys fron evo motorsports were there doing the remapping..i had them do it..bye the way my revo remapping had already expired..and since most people on the web seem to think or seem to say that giac is the best at i went for it...900.00 later and what a mistake that was..the box ran like sh#t...you hit the gas and feel like it was misfiring...evo had told me that the chip worked best with the combo of it and there intake...so like an idoit i beleaved it and had aj usa install the intake..well the intake did not make the car run any worse but it did not help either..so i went a place in san diego called the dynoshop to do acouple of runs and see what came up..well the car is running way to rich and between 5200 rpm and 6000 rpm my h.p drops by like 25 hp...the guys told me thats the tuning and to check my sparkplugs because one could be bad...so this saturday i had a friend help me pull the plugs and replace them and not just was fouled but 3 were.he also said it looks like you are running to rich...so replaceed the plug with a fresh set.. and the hesitation between 5000 and 6000 is still there...i faxed the dyno run info to evo on friday and there were suposse to call me back today...i got such call...so thats were i am at now not very happy with evo and there products and there support...

carmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #2

I just did the Evo Intake kit with the baffle this weekend in my 01 S and it looks similar but there is a baffle between the Cone filter and the rest of the engine. It seems to me that your Filter is just sucking in hot air. The baffle with mine boxes out the rest of the engine compartment and has a weatherstrip/ gasket at the top to meet the engine cover. I thought it was well engineered. The results were instant and excellent. The engine ran perfectly, actually smoother than before.. it could be the fact that the old filter was extremely dirty. The performance increase was twice as nice as doing the exhaust.
I would check with evo to make sure you have all parts of the kit!
Best of luck.
Joe
01 S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:39 PM   #3

Talking

Don't take this comment the wrong way but ......

You are more likely to receive some constructive input if you communicate using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.

As an example, I was unwilling to wade through your message to figure our your situation, your questions etc.

I think others with be similarly unwilling.

Thanks!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #4

thanks for all the info joe

i will check with evo in the morning
Old 09-27-2005, 12:35 AM   #5

here is my dyno run after giac,evo intake and dansk headers

not very good, i looks like the guys at aj's missed installing the fresh airbox or evo did not send it to them...even so does anyone think that the intake alone would cause that bad of a problem in the dyno run? any input would be great ..thanks in advance...
Old 09-27-2005, 06:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmos
not very good, i looks like the guys at aj's missed installing the fresh airbox or evo did not send it to them...even so does anyone think that the intake alone would cause that bad of a problem in the dyno run? any input would be great ..thanks in advance...
Hi,

Sounds like a MAF issue to me. Did you by any chance have a K&N Filter before switching to the EVO?

BTW, without a before Dyno Chart, the one you posted is not very informative.

It's typical to have a drop in the mid when switching intakes. All the gains come at the top end, not really very usable. Why did you get the EVO? Noisemaker? Lots of guys like the sound better. Good Luck!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #7

update revo chip,evo intake with cold air box and dansk headers

Hi all, i got everything installed and replaced the giac ecu mod with the revo mod. This ecu mod seems to work alot better on my box s..here are the dyno pulls...i am much happier now..thanks to all from any help with any of my questions..

P.S. mark over at Hergesheimer did a great job and was very helpful..if you live in o.c. area i highly recommend him..
Old 10-01-2005, 09:45 AM   #8

Man...after reading sooooooo many posts of people having troubles with their 'Box after installing "performance" items costing thousands of dollars it still pains me to see people still trying to do it! If its sound your after just do the FREE de-snorkel mod. Same performance gain as an overly expensive intake at NO COST. Many cars out there do respond to performance parts but the 'Box just isn't one of them.

Last edited by xclusivecar; 10-02-2005 at 07:05 AM.
xclusivecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #9

^, It's a crap shoot. Clubhead on here put on Dasnk highflow cats and headers with a basically stock intake and had good results. He was pushing about 237hp on his 02 Tip box S at the wheels and if I remember correctly the TQ numbers looked real good too. A standard box S would have around 220hp at the wheels and probably less with a tiptronic tranny so I would say that was a success for doing so little. He had gains in the mid-range too, not just up top. Things started going south for him when he messed with the GIAC software and he was also disappointed with the product and support.

Last edited by Adam; 10-01-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:19 AM   #10

Hi Adam, well with the numbers I got back 246 H.P at the wheels...i can really feel the difference...the car has a lot more jump from 3500 to 5500 rpm...i am pretty happy know. I agree the giac software made my box s run pretty bad. The revo software is a completely different story... :dance:
Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
KronixSpeed

id like to know if you really own a boxster!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Don't take this comment the wrong way but ......

You are more likely to receive some constructive input if you communicate using proper grammar, spelling and punctuation.

As an example, I was unwilling to wade through your message to figure our your situation, your questions etc.

I think others with be similarly unwilling.

Thanks!

dude next time if you cant read or understand, no need to reply! this reply of yours is probably just as bad as not being able to understand what someone is trying to say. and please dont reply to this, because i probably wont be able to understand what your trying to say!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
dude next time if you cant read or understand, no need to reply! this reply of yours is probably just as bad as not being able to understand what someone is trying to say. and please dont reply to this, because i probably wont be able to understand what your trying to say!

Relax

He's just trying to help the guy out and obviously didn't mean to be mean.

Brucelee does have a valid point...communicate effectively and you will receive unbelievable feedback! Luckily, I was able to wade through the run on sentences to understand what he meant! Again, not to be mean!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #13
KronixSpeed

didntknowpeepswerebeinggradedonhowtheyspellorrunon sentences,ifyoucantunderstand,noneedtoreply.youobv iouslyunderstoodwhathemeant.ifindthatthisbruceleec haracteraddshistwocentstoeverypost,evenifhehasnoth ingtosay,whichisnormallythecase.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Relax

He's just trying to help the guy out and obviously didn't mean to be mean.

Brucelee does have a valid point...communicate effectively and you will receive unbelievable feedback! Luckily, I was able to wade through the run on sentences to understand what he meant! Again, not to be mean!
Old 10-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #14

^ Your maturity level is overwhelming. Save that **************** for homeroom.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #15

I second that emotion Adam...

and never disrespect the name of Bruce Lee...even if it is only a screen name.

Now let's return to our previously scheduled programming...boxsters.

got in a fun little tangle with a lotus elise this morning on the way to work...twisty little highway onramp with three nice high speed corners...that little bugger was doin' alright...but when I hit third gear he faded fast. I love the look of them though...particularly in the rear-view mirror. ;-)
Old 10-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUHRIUS
...got in a fun little tangle with a lotus elise this morning on the way to work...twisty little highway onramp with three nice high speed corners...that little bugger was doin' alright...but when I hit third gear he faded fast. I love the look of them though...particularly in the rear-view mirror. ;-)
Hi,

You must have had an inexperienced or unmotivated driver in that Elise. Otherwise, I don't buy it.

The Elise weighs 1,975lbs., the Boxster S - 3,118lbs. The Elise goes 0-60 in 4.9 sec., the Boxster S - 5.5 sec. The Elise must push 10.5lbs/HP, the Boxster S - 12.4lbs./HP.

It simply doesn't add up on paper...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:39 AM   #17

Quote:
didntknowpeepswerebeinggradedonhowtheyspellorrunon sentences,ifyoucantunderstand,noneedtoreply.youobv iouslyunderstoodwhathemeant.ifindthatthisbruceleec haracteraddshistwocentstoeverypost,evenifhehasnoth ingtosay,whichisnormallythecase.......
Calm down man. Your lucky Brucelee hasn't locked/deleted your thread. The board may not say it but Brucelee is an admin.

Last edited by tqtran; 10-04-2005 at 05:41 AM.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #18
KronixSpeed

Arrow

who are you? if he's admin, he should respect that not everyone on here is a scholar. the dude made one or two mistakes in what he was trying to say, and he rips him, and your telling me what? read the first post, nothing wrong with what the guy was saying. relax like im swearing or telling someone off!!!ya hear. my point being that if you dont understand someone go on to the next discussion, did you read that, go on to the next discussion, no need to reply.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
Calm down man. Your lucky Brucelee hasn't locked/deleted your thread. The board may not say it but Brucelee is an admin.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #19
KronixSpeed

Post spelling and grammer 101..sign me up

the funny part is that he makes two mistake's in his own reply. trying to punk someone on grammer and he makes two grammer mistakes himself. where is he, why hasnt he replied, he's 'admin', yet he cant spell..are you kidding me. i cant spell for ****************, my grammer is ****************ed, i type so fast, i make so many mistakes and i have this guy correcting my grammer..ya ah hi

Quote:
who are you? if he's admin, he should respect that not everyone on here is a scholar. the dude made one or two mistakes in what he was trying to say, and he rips him, and your telling me what? read the first post, nothing wrong with what the guy was saying. relax like im swearing or telling someone off!!!ya hear. my point being that if you dont understand someone go on to the next discussion, did you read that, go on to the next discussion, no need to reply.......
Old 10-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

You must have had an inexperienced or unmotivated driver in that Elise. Otherwise, I don't buy it.

The Elise weighs 1,975lbs., the Boxster S - 3,118lbs. The Elise goes 0-60 in 4.9 sec., the Boxster S - 5.5 sec. The Elise must push 10.5lbs/HP, the Boxster S - 12.4lbs./HP.

It simply doesn't add up on paper...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
I had an Elise and traded it for a 2000 Boxster S. The ONLY way to get a 0-60 of 4.9 sec. would be to drop the clutch at around 8,000 RPM. There is NO power in this thing until you get over 6500 RPM. THEN...you must shift at the correct point to keep the car in the second sets of cams or your acceleration will suffer dramatically until you once again hit the second set of cams. Also I experienced tons of wheel hop while trying to accelerate from a stop quickly. The Boxster doesn't do this. Hell, for fun I raced my buddy in an auto '96 Vette and we stayed together for quite a bit before he finally pulled away at 80 or so.