Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
The Legend

IMS repair; metal in the oil filter

Hi. We're working on a 98 Boxster with a 2.5L engine. The IMS bearing seems to be failing. We're doing a DIY repair. The engine did run before we began repairs, so looks like it's been nipped in the bud. The IMS is going to be replaced with one of the LN Engineering kits.

Since the engine did run before it went into surgery, I'm confident it will run again.

I did find in the oil filter little specks of metal which I assume was from the failing bearing. The filter did not look as bad as the one on the LN website (which shows a complete IMSB failure).

WHAT I'M WONDERING is if we can safely get away with swapping the IMS and finishing, or if we should disassemble the engine and look for damage. I'm hoping the Oil filter caught all of the metal. I'll inspect the drained oil with a magnet when I get a chance.

So, should we bother disassembling the engine? Would we be crazy not to?

ALSO, LN has a service where you can ship them the IMS itself and they'll upgrade it (as opposed to replacing the bearing). If we're going to be disassembling the engine should we spring for this?

boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #2

Garage
Pull the bearing... if there is no large piece of metal that actually made it into the engine and the bearing was just starting to decompose then you probably got away lucky.... I would pull the sump plate though and make sure you clean everything well... a flush of the engine after you're done the work probably wouldnt hurt....
Anyhow thats just my opinion...
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Double post...

Last edited by shadrach74; 10-18-2012 at 05:33 PM.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Others may flame for this, but I think it's worth it to upgrade the bearing and run it for an hour and change the oil again. Your biggest gamble is on the labor to R&R the engine a second time.
I suppose there is a remote possibility of clogging a cam oiler which would lead to additional expense, but other than that there's not much you could destroy that you wouldn't replace if you split the case now instead of later...

Last edited by shadrach74; 10-18-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Others may flame for this, but I think it's worth it to upgrade the bearing and run it, for an hour and change the oil again. Your biggest gamble is on the labor to R&R the engine a second time.
I suppose there is a remote possibility of clogging a cam oiler which would lead to ask or expend, but other than that there's not much you could destroy that you wouldn't replace of you split the case now instead of later...
Also, I'd make sure that the metal is coming from where you think it is...
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

I would recommend pulling the sump plate off and and see if there is any metal in there as well.

Blake
bam914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Without seeing a pic of the filter it's hard to say. Is it iron or aluminum specs (test with a magnet)? Tiny specs in the filter are probably not a death sentence. Drop the oil pan and have a look. If it's clean you got there just in time. If it looks like a grenade went off... the IMS retrofit is probably pointless because that stuff has been circulating everywhere.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
The Legend

I'm yet to check the sump but I did wave a magnet around in some drained oil. Nothing stuck.

There's also a terrible clicking noise when the engine idles. It disappears when revving the car high. My father claims it sounds like a (timing?) chain slapping against a case. Is this ever something IMS related? (If so will a retrofit fix it?)
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam914 View Post
I would recommend pulling the sump plate off and and see if there is any metal in there as well.

Blake
Agreed, this goes with out saying...