View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
boxslrr
The Legend

IMS repair; metal in the oil filter

Hi. We're working on a 98 Boxster with a 2.5L engine. The IMS bearing seems to be failing. We're doing a DIY repair. The engine did run before we began repairs, so looks like it's been nipped in the bud. The IMS is going to be replaced with one of the LN Engineering kits.

Since the engine did run before it went into surgery, I'm confident it will run again.

I did find in the oil filter little specks of metal which I assume was from the failing bearing. The filter did not look as bad as the one on the LN website (which shows a complete IMSB failure).

WHAT I'M WONDERING is if we can safely get away with swapping the IMS and finishing, or if we should disassemble the engine and look for damage. I'm hoping the Oil filter caught all of the metal. I'll inspect the drained oil with a magnet when I get a chance.

So, should we bother disassembling the engine? Would we be crazy not to?

ALSO, LN has a service where you can ship them the IMS itself and they'll upgrade it (as opposed to replacing the bearing). If we're going to be disassembling the engine should we spring for this?
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote