Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Leave it stock 8 47.06%
B&M Short Shifter 8 47.06%
Vertex Short shift kit 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Short Shift Kit Poll

Please chose which short shift kit you would put on your Boxster. Price is no concern. Reliability,Quality, and Drivability. Post pros and cons of your short shift kit.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 09-25-2005 at 10:49 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #2

Hi,

I voted to leave it stock because there is less effort in shifting and a SS is pretty much only for Bragging Rights.

A Short Shifter's only purpose is to speed up the shifting, but at the expense of effort.

In day-to-day driving, there really is no reason to shift any faster than the stock shifter will.

On the Track, it usually isn't your Shifting Time (so much as technique and Clutch Release) which costs you time. The SS alone won't usually allow you to realize any improvement.

'Course, Bragging Rights do have some priority, so if you just want it, go for it!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

PS If I were going with the SS kit, I'd probably go with the B&M simply because they're the OEM Supplier. I suspect that Porsche probably reviewed both of them before selecting B&M, although I'm sure the Vertex is also adequate.

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-25-2005 at 12:04 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #3

I agree with you with regards to shifting time has little or no effect on the track. However, the B&M SS makes the car "feel" sportier. I drove the 997S as well as the Lotus Elise last week and the stock shifter on those cars feels like a stir stick compare to my short shifter.

Other than the short shifter, both of these cars performs better than my S. The Elise feels like it's on rails and the 997S is a more powerful car, but I still prefer my S overall because of how it "feels".

I was concern about getting my SS at first because of the increase effort in shifting. Had it for about 1 month now and I can't imagine driving without it!
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyboxster
I agree with you with regards to shifting time has little or no effect on the track. However, the B&M SS makes the car "feel" sportier. I drove the 997S as well as the Lotus Elise last week and the stock shifter on those cars feels like a stir stick compare to my short shifter.

Other than the short shifter, both of these cars performs better than my S. The Elise feels like it's on rails and the 997S is a more powerful car, but I still prefer my S overall because of how it "feels".

I was concern about getting my SS at first because of the increase effort in shifting. Had it for about 1 month now and I can't imagine driving without it!
Hi,

You make a good point about the feel. It may well be better, but that's also subjective and maybe redundant if the stock shifter isn't really bad to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discouraging the switch, if you want it, that's reason enough to do it.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote