Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #1

Spare tire diameter

Hi! I'm afraid the only thing I own from a 986 is a set of 17" chrome turbo twist wheels. I'm mounting them on my 1988 Pontiac Fiero because I love the look and the backspacing is perfect for the car. It's a fair amount of work, with the 5 X 130mm vs. the puny 5 X100mm pattern that came on the car, but will be worth the effort. Of course with the pattern change and the bigger brakes going on at the same time, the stock 15" spare won't work for me any more.

My question is, can someone here tell me the outside diameter of the 986 spare tire? The spare storage space is limited and I don't want to order one and then not have it fit.

I appreciate the help,

Neil

Last edited by sspeedstreet; 09-23-2012 at 06:31 PM.
sspeedstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #2

Garage
As much as it kills me to think that a set of boxster wheels are going on a Fiero, here's the info you need.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #3

Hmm. Over on the Fiero Forum we respect everyone's car, no matter what they drive. We also read the question and do our best to help with a problem.

That said, if anyone else would like to help me with the tire outside diameter, again, I would appreciate it.

Neil
Old 09-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #4

Garage
I would suspect the tire diameter is the same as the stock tires, so that the ABS doesn't get confused. On my S, which came with 17s, the stock tire sizes are almost exactly 25". If I don't see anybody else answer this, I'll pull mine out tonight and measure it.

I co-drove a Fiero rally car with a friend of mine (Doug Chase of Duvall, WA) about 10 years ago. I don't look down on them ... at least the engine is in the right place. More than you can say for a 911.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #5

Garage
Lighten up pal - I was just bust'in on you a little . By the way, did you know that Fiero means ********************box in Spanish ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
SPB racer

Garage
Slightly more than 24"

And if you decide you want one let me know I have a spare that I don't use and will sell it for a reasonable price.

Last edited by Jittsl; 09-24-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Garage
Strangest thread I have seen in a while...
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
I no longer carry a spare. Can't be bothered dragging around an extra wheel only to face changing a tire with lame roadside tools. I prefer one of these:
SLIME – Worldwide Leader in Tire Care – Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant » Catalog » Catalog Products » Smart Spair Flat Tire Repair Kit (SS-PDQ/06)
And one of these:
http://www.aaa-calif.com/discounts/members/ca_sum06.pdf

My spare is also available for a fair price.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubinski View Post
I co-drove a Fiero rally car with a friend of mine (Doug Chase of Duvall, WA) about 10 years ago. I don't look down on them ... at least the engine is in the right place. More than you can say for a 911.
I'm familiar with Doug's work, good guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
Slightly more than 24"

And if you decide you want one let me know I have a spare that I don't use and will sell it for a reasonable price.
Thanks, that's what I needed.

I didn't think it would fit, I've only got 22.5" to work with. Guess I'll have to rely on AAA if I have a problem.

Last edited by sspeedstreet; 09-25-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Admin is blocking my posts, thanks again for the help and suggestions
Old 09-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
I no longer carry a spare. Can't be bothered dragging around an extra wheel only to face changing a tire with lame roadside tools. I prefer one of these:
SLIME – Worldwide Leader in Tire Care – Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant » Catalog » Catalog Products » Smart Spair Flat Tire Repair Kit (SS-PDQ/06)
Probably the best suggestion. We had a discussion a while back as to whether front end crash safety is compromised with the spare removed. I may carry the original anyway for that reason. The front end on this car is light and as the spare fits down between the front tires it doesn't affect handling in a bad way.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
SPB racer

Garage
My GT3 has a collapsible spare that is 21 3/8" in diameter when deflated. I believe that any 996 4wd, or car that uses the 4wd chassis, (GT3/2, C4, or turbo) would use a similar size spare. Obviously I believe it could be used as a spare on a Boxster.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspeedstreet View Post
Hi! I'm afraid the only thing I own from a 986 is a set of 17" chrome turbo twist wheels. I'm mounting them on my 1988 Pontiac Fiero because I love the look and the backspacing is perfect for the car. It's a fair amount of work, with the 5 X 130mm vs. the puny 5 X100mm pattern that came on the car, but will be worth the effort. Of course with the pattern change and the bigger brakes going on at the same time, the stock 15" spare won't work for me any more.

My question is, can someone here tell me the outside diameter of the 986 spare tire? The spare storage space is limited and I don't want to order one and then not have it fit.

I appreciate the help,

Neil
Before I bought my own Porsche I had been considering this Pontiac Fiero kit below.

CAR KIT INC. Fiberglass Supercar Replica Kits

But the thought of years of work, and $15k-$20k investment I decided I rather just get a real Porsche.

However, that sure is a nice Fiero and $300k cheaper than the real thing.

Hats off to anyone with enough fortitude to turn a Fiero into a work of art like that.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
And one of these:

It does seem that with AAA and some Slime, a spare is not really very necessary these days unless you are cruising far away from civilization.

But doesn't the Boxster need that spare weight in front anyway to reduce understeer?

Just thinking out loud.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
It does seem that with AAA and some Slime, a spare is not really very necessary these days unless you are cruising far away from civilization.

But doesn't the Boxster need that spare weight in front anyway to reduce understeer?

Just thinking out loud.
Removing weight in the front reduces understeer.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
And one of these:

I never carried a spare or jack in any of my cars, just a can of Fix-a-Flat. Once I bought my Boxster & saw how light the spare & the great alloy jack is I always carry them.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #16

Garage
Does anyone know what the circumference of a boxster cigarette lighter is ?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
SPB racer

Garage
A little larger than your manhood I suspect.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
A little larger than your manhood I suspect.
I thought Texans liked everything big ?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I never carried a spare or jack in any of my cars, just a can of Fix-a-Flat. Once I bought my Boxster & saw how light the spare & the great alloy jack is I always carry them.
Spare and really cool alloy jack for sale cheap.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #20
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I thought Texans liked everything big ?
And I guess that's why I just don't find you all that attractive.